I love my Aluminet!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Jim, very informative & interesting.
If one doesn't live in the same part of the world where these tests were conducted, would it give the same results?

Great question... I know East coast light is different from west coast light.
So I imagine there are differences, but I think the basic principle is the same.

Frank Giglia said that some growers in South Florida will use the blue shade cloth to keep the plants growth compact and it delays the blooming, the buds will form but are reluctant to bloom while under the blue cloth.

Then after they receive an order, they put the plants under red shade cloth to initiate blooming. If the order is delayed they put it back under the blue cloth to stall the blooming process.

He said they can produce multiple "batches" of blooming plants from the same crop so the retailers have a constant supply of plants that are in fresh bloom.

I would love to see a university do a study of this over here in the states.

JT

Frank Giglia said that some growers in South Florida will use the blue shade cloth to keep the plants growth compact and it delays the blooming, the buds will form but are reluctant to bloom while under the blue cloth.

Then after they receive an order, they put the plants under red shade cloth to initiate blooming. If the order is delayed they put it back under the blue cloth to stall the blooming process.

He said they can produce multiple "batches" of blooming plants from the same crop so the retailers have a constant supply of plants that are in fresh bloom.

I would love to see a university do a study of this over here in the states.

JT
interesting, to say the least. would be very helpful commercially if you have a crop of flowering annuals and it's approaching flowering too early, and you need to hang on to the plants for a while. on the other hand, it would be nice to try and coax some plants to flower under red cloth, if it worked that way. only problem is when we receive an order it means it's heading out the door right away (hopefully)

Latest posts

Back