I hate when this happens...

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paphioboy

hehehe...
Reaction score
Penang, Malaysia..d home of fabulous paphs.
This morning as I was looking around my plants, I noticed my 4-growth paph barbatum has been attacked by a fungus. This particular fungal infection is quite serious, and I have lost some paphs before due to this.. The fungus is a saprophytic species, I think, but the problem is it cannot differentiate between live and dead tissue. Luckily I managed to salvage 2 growths and a rootstock. The other 2 growths are already beyond recovery. i believe this occurs when the medium is rich in organic material and the plant is grown too wet near the 'crown' of the plant. Anybody else have this problem before?
The damage:
A growth rotted by the fungus..
Fungus3.jpg

Fungus hyphae growing on the rhizome.. The rhizome has been 'eaten', leaving 1 healthy growth left with only 2 roots..
Fungus2.jpg

Fungus1.jpg

Managed to salvage 1 healthy growth with most of the roots..
Damage2.jpg

The single growth with 2 roots and the leafless rootstock..
Damage1.jpg

Living in the tropics is not that rosy after all...:(:sob:

It looks allot like Erwinia (bacterial) to me Paphioboy. Does the rot areas smell like something sweet and fermenting? The white hyphae I think are secondary species.

It is a very aggressive disease. My best luck has been with Dragons Blood and cinnamon (combined).

It looks like Erwinia to me, also. Very difficult to control. Good luck -- watch those "unaffected" parts like a hawk.

If I find rot I pull of the obviously infected parts, soak in a physan solution, change the media, and put on some Dragons blood. I think the thing w/ powdered lime would work also but I cant find any in the area!

Latest posts

Back