hynaldianum album

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love your Alice Barrios better. Which award did you get for that?

The clonal name is Peggy. It received an AM/AOS of 81 points in October 2010. I purchased it as a large seedling from Dick Wells of Hilltop Orchids in 2008. He got them from Marilyn LeDoux of Windy Hill Gardens. Marilyn has nice plants at good prices, both paphs and phrags.

I've seen several flowers from this cross and some were larger, but this has the best overall shape and color. Also, the plant grows like a weed. I see several new growths right now, so it will likely bloom again this fall.

Mike

The clonal name is Peggy. It received an AM/AOS of 81 points in October 2010. I purchased it as a large seedling from Dick Wells of Hilltop Orchids in 2008. He got them from Marilyn LeDoux of Windy Hill Gardens. Marilyn has nice plants at good prices, both paphs and phrags.

I've seen several flowers from this cross and some were larger, but this has the best overall shape and color. Also, the plant grows like a weed. I see several new growths right now, so it will likely bloom again this fall.

Mike

Can you please post a picture of the plant? I love to see what "grows like week" looks like. Thanks.

Good question. I don't know enough to tell the difference between an alba lowii and an alba haynaldianum, considering normal variations in flower shape from plant to plant. Maybe it is a alba lowii with small petals.

I've been accepting the label at face value because of the size of the plant. The leaf span is only about 18 inches. If this plant were to become much larger in the years ahead or begin to produce 6-7 flowers per spike, I would suspect lowii.

Mike

Thanks. I thought it was an interesting question to ask as the dorsal spots can't be used to distinguish them.

when I google both, the pictures of haynaldianum album are quite variable in form. Some look like lowii album as posted on the forum others have a different form. The only lowii albums I can find are like 'albino beauty' which has quite distinctive 'paddles' which are not like most lowiis.
I suppose what I'm asking is what are the taxonomic difference between the two species (as flower form can be quite variable)? Thanks

really nice.
How do you tell the difference between lowii album and haynaldianum album?
when I google both, the pictures of haynaldianum album are quite variable in form. Some look like lowii album as posted on the forum others have a different form. The only lowii albums I can find are like 'albino beauty' which has quite distinctive 'paddles' which are not like most lowiis.
I suppose what I'm asking is what are the taxonomic difference between the two species (as flower form can be quite variable)? Thanks
One important property of Paph species is the shape of the staminode. The shape of the staminode P. haynaldianum and P. lowii are completely different no matter whether they are of the normal or the album forms.

Back