hybrid names based on pod parent

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chicago Chad

Reaction score
I have a Paph. Pedro's Moon and I have seen Paph. Wossner Goldegg listed with the same parents (just different pod parent).

Pardon my ignorance, but are we calling this two different names based on the pod/ pollen parent? I don't remember seeing this before.

Hmmm -- The RHS site lists Paph. Pedro's Moon's parents as armeniacum x Pinocchio, and Wossner Goldegg's parents as Pine Glow x armeniacum.

Pod parent and pollen parent sequence isn't supposed to make a difference in a name.

However, I have seen different names given to offspring of the same parents. For instance, check out callosum x rothschildianum.

Very early registrations had different names for 'a' x 'b' and its reverse cross. If you look at. The crosses registered in the 1800s you will see that happened quite often. At some point it changed, I don't know what law of registration was passed that identified them to be the same hybrid, requiring the same name.
There are also different names for the same cross pollen to pod, depending on who registered and where. The old hybrids are a mass of confused names.

Thanks for the help. I think the Wossner Goldegg has also been mislabeled or misidentified a few times on the web, which makes it more a mess. I also saw it had Pineglow in it, but not consistently labeled that way. Plus an ebay seller has it as arm x Pin. which adds to peoples confusion.

This continues to be a problem with labeling. I have a flask of Wossner Black Wings x roth, which depending on the person or the way they view anitum can also be Johanna Burkhardt x roth.

In the case of Wossner Black Wings vs Johanna Burkhardt, which name you use depends on whether you believe anitum is a valid species separate from adductum, or whether you believe anitum is just a race of adductum. I don't know where the RHS is at with it. I know if you want to avoid USFWS trouble in the US, you label your anitum as adductum.

Latest posts

Back