Hurry up and open already!!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The first armeniacum of the season for me. I have several in various stages of spiking now, nice that there will yellow butterballs for months BUT it would have been nice to see them all bloom at the same time.

Tyler
beee1f0d97d498296bea8e6f4315a3b5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have this in a basket, with what looks like mostly stones for media. Do you water often?

Yes I grow all Parvis in baskets when I can. The potting medium is roughly as follows: One part fine bark one part medium dark one part Hydroton and half part nzsm. The basket is lined with coconut husk or nzsm between the slats. I also add a small amount of Osmacote time release.

In the summer they will get water every day when it's over 85 and every other day when it's 80 or lower. I cut back on watering as it starts to cool down and in the winter they might get water every 10 to 12 days.

I feel I have this particular group of plants pretty well dialed in and this has worked for me.

Tyler

I had two seemingly super healthy plants with runners coming out in two three directions, but they both succumbed to a sudden rot.
It was a real shame because they looked so perfectly healthy and pretty.

Then I bought three single-growth plants that look rather rough, and slightly larger than ones I normally see.

The all grew about one leaf in one year! no root activity, which worries me.

Micranthums have been slightly faster.

Phew~

I know it's only been one year with these, but I am reluctant to buy any more. It seems like I'm wasting them away, not to mention the frustration on my part.
I do have lots of their primary and near primary hybrids, so as soon as I get something I like in bloom that look similar enough, I would probably really quit on armeniacum and micranthum. haha

By the way, do you have a greenhouse? what's the temperature during the summer?
I wonder if summer killed those two off. I didn't have an AC last summer and it was cooking hot here for good two months.
Maybe I should have moved them in the shade.

I had two seemingly super healthy plants with runners coming out in two three directions, but they both succumbed to a sudden rot.
It was a real shame because they looked so perfectly healthy and pretty.

Then I bought three single-growth plants that look rather rough, and slightly larger than ones I normally see.

The all grew about one leaf in one year! no root activity, which worries me.

Micranthums have been slightly faster.

Phew~

I know it's only been one year with these, but I am reluctant to buy any more. It seems like I'm wasting them away, not to mention the frustration on my part.
I do have lots of their primary and near primary hybrids, so as soon as I get something I like in bloom that look similar enough, I would probably really quit on armeniacum and micranthum. haha

By the way, do you have a greenhouse? what's the temperature during the summer?
I wonder if summer killed those two off. I didn't have an AC last summer and it was cooking hot here for good two months.
Maybe I should have moved them in the shade.

Rot is certainly an issue, thats why I use baskets or plastic basket pots. Air flow is also paramount even though they are associated with low flow environments in the wild.

Till I put them in baskets I had similar growth rates as you with maybe two leaves a year, different story now.

Greenhouse temps in summer will get into the 90's for most of the summer. And drop into the 60's at night.

Thanks for the reply.

Well, summer night temperature dropping in the 60 will a dream here. lol
Possible in dry air climate like the West Coast.

The thing about basket is that I have no desire to water it so often.
I'm so fed up with watering as is now.

I might try s/h or something similar. not sure.

Come to thing of it, both armeniacum (very healthy and nice with runners shooting out and good roots growths) were too close to the windows and heated too much even though I had them in UV protective semi clear plastic pot with paper tissue lining the outside of the paper.

Might be coincidental, but all others were two feet away from the window.

I'll see how they fare this year as I will install AC soon.

Back