Hoya callistophylla, the Sabah Beauty Hoya

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leo Schordje

wilted blossom
Reaction score
A cutting less than a year old. Imported from D.Liddle nursery in Australia, one of the few places where you can get correctly identified rare Hoya species. Hoya taxonomy is even more messed up than orchid taxonomy.

This will be an incredible houseplant in a few years. Not very fragrant and flowers only last a couple days. With leaves like this, it doesn't matter if the flowers don't last long.

Hoya1174a.jpg

Hoya1174b.jpg

Nice one, and blooms so young is a nice touch. I should check on mine and see how it's doing.

Leaves are about 5 inches x 2 to 3 inches, fairly stiff, a cardboard texture. The vine tends to run up to a foot or more between leaves, so it can get quite big in time. It is a slow grower, I have only added a couple leaves since I got it. It is still in a 2 1/2 inch pot. But it will eventually get a 5 or 6 inch basket. If you wind it around, you can keep it somewhat confined. I am growing it under lights, but it is in the HPS section, where I have my hanging plants.

Hi Dot,
Actually the flowers are facing up. But the cutting had an old flower peduncle on it, it may have formed facing down, but the orientation now on the cutting is the peduncle faces up. It went ahead and bloomed anyway.

Yes, it is a slow grower, and my original cutting cost me $22 with shipping to get it in from Australia. It will be a while before have cuttings, and when I do I'll have to charge a bit for them, probably $20.

But I'll keep you in mind, Lois too.
Leo

What a beautiful plant.

I'm not real sure I needed to know there are so many different types of Hoyas...they're very tantalizing....:rollhappy: :drool:

Latest posts

Back