How to grow moss on orchid medium ?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Dane

Hi

Does anyone know how to grow moss on your orchid medium ?
Please any suggestions welcome.:)

Moss, water, sun. You can get live moss from eBay. Some formulas call for making a buttermilk and moss blend mix and spreading it on a surface. It's on the web.

First, why wold you want to grow moss on your orchid medium? Moss grows from spores and likes an acid environment.

I have gotten moss to grow on the outside of unglazed clay pots. I take a fist-sized clump of healthy moss and crumble it into a blender. Add 2 cups (270 ml) each of water and buttermilk. I then paint it onto the pot. I assume the same could be done on orchid medium.

First, why wold you want to grow moss on your orchid medium? Moss grows from spores and likes an acid environment.

I have gotten moss to grow on the outside of unglazed clay pots. I take a fist-sized clump of healthy moss and crumble it into a blender. Add 2 cups (270 ml) each of water and buttermilk. I then paint it onto the pot. I assume the same could be done on orchid medium.

I want to grow it on top of the medium which my terestrial orchids are potted it:p

Here's what I did. I collected various mosses from my area and from pots of other plants I purchased. There are many different kinds of moss, and much like other plants, they have different preferences for growing media, light, water, humidity, pH, etc.

Then I experimented and tried different kinds of moss in different pots to see what thrived and where. Most didn't do terribly well, but I found several different types that have done well.

Overall, the ones that did best for me were the ones I collected from rocks, sidewalks and bricks (the ones that grow with very little organic material and go through long, dry periods) and those that I collected from other potted plants.

I never tried the slurry method that involves blending a clump of moss into a slush and then spreading that around. What works for me is to break the moss into small clumps and then stick them directly on top of the potting mix.

I go down to the creek in the woods by my house and get live sphagnum and use that on some of my cork mounts.I have been lazy and left sheet moss on the pots after shows,and it attaches to the bark in no time.I also notice it popping up on its own,when plants are way overdue for repotting and the mix has broken down.

I do nothing. Moss and ferns just appear on my media. The moss is nice, but the ferns are a pain...

I do nothing. Moss and ferns just appear on my media. The moss is nice, but the ferns are a pain...
Same here.

Plus in France and part of Europe the collection of mosses and sphag is forbidden, but it comes by itself if you give it time, and you can buy live mosses if you want.

Is Irish Moss a true moss? It seems to grow on just about anything, tolerates sun and doesn't need excessive humidity. Is there any reason not to use it?

Only if you have some moss in the mix to begin with and still it take a lot of moisture!!

Here in California (maybe not in NY) moss will grow out of nowhere.

Inside condo without any moss or other plants growing.....
Take plants out of flask, plant in sterile media, keep very moist, moss grows.

Yes it takes a lot of moisture.

Ok. But is there any reason not to use it?

If it is the non moss type there are probable reasons not to use it.
I'm not suggesting not to use it just answering your question....

Some reasons not to use it......
It does not behave like a moss. If it dries out it dies and decays while moss just dries up and revives when it gets wet again.
It probably consumes a lot of nutrients and gives nothing in return. It forms a dense mat on the media surface which cuts off airflow while moss is more open.

No telling if Irish Moss is an attractant to pests that may also attack orchids?

Most orchids grow in association to some type of (true) moss and that is probably because either moss provides something orchids benefit from or moss enjoys the same environment as orchids.

DSCN0174-1.jpg

This is the one type of moss that i actually had to plant in order for it to start growing:( I have never got moss growing in my hothouse otherwise...

Latest posts

Back