how about a paphiopedilum member project

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

youngslipper

Reaction score
I was thinking.. how about a Paphiopedilum project, where members of slippertalk all over the globe can participate in.

First of all ONLY Paphiopedilum. the reason is that they are somewhat easier to find for sale, some countries don't sell Phragmipediums, Cypripediums, Mexipediums and don't even start about Selenipedium:sob: For instance, South Africa cannot grow Cyps, way to hot, there are only two growers of Mexipedium in Africa and none for sale.

Second, we get the names of the participants that want to take part in a thread, I will then put all the names on a list to make sure that ONLY participants vote on polls. You can simply put op your username and country of origin in a reply.

First poll would be to choose a topic for the second poll before selecting plants. There will be twelve categories, a species and primary hybrid could be chosen in each subgenus of Paphiopedilum (eg. Polyantha-species and Polyantha-primary hybrid), in a poll. Each participant would be able to choose 5 topics.

Second poll will be to get a final subgenus, species or hybrid, and get a winner that will then go to the next thread.

There will then be a thread to give suggestions on plants for the final poll. (If the winner is a Brachypetalum or Cochlopetalum we will immediately go to the final poll with all the species in the subgenus.) Otherwise a thread for bigger subgenus's species and hybrid suggestions. The first 10 plants can go to the final poll, so be quick:poke:

In the final poll we will vote for a final plant everyone can find. (If everyone can not get the plant a backup will be chosen from the final poll plants, but only if more than five participants cannot find the winner.)

So what do you all think about this idea??:confused:
Yes... No...:wink:
Any suggestions??:)

Sorry for the story in separate replies, was not able post the entire thing at once

Don't expect people to put their real names to plants that they have, that would be an invitation to some major collection losses. What type of topic are you thinking.

What do you mean, "final plant everyone can find"? Maybe you don't know it but there are a lot of species and hybrids that are still not legally obtainable in the USA. And trust me, we have access to more plants than most people.

Generally, you have an interesting idea. I think that Slippertalk is kind of like a Paphiopedilum Project, just wiht other slippers. If you want a vote on the most beautiful Paph blooms, or the best Paph hybrid, or the hardest Paph species to obtain, well, you are going to get a lot of opinions, and these issues are routinely addressed here.

What youngslipper wanted to say was this:

How about a member project where we all grow the same species or cross of slipper orchid, comparing culture notes as we go along?

S/he then suggests that members nominate plants for the project, forming a list upon which interested parties will then vote.

What youngslipper wanted to say was this:

How about a member project where we all grow the same species or cross of slipper orchid, comparing culture notes as we go along?

S/he then suggests that members nominate plants for the project, forming a list upon which interested parties will then vote.

Exactly

Sounds easy now, but, as s/he has already pointed out, even comparing the cultural notes for the same grex, as all plants will be growing under different conditions, the cultural advices will be as different as the environment is.

There is no simple way, no way to reduce factors, we always have to manage all components at the same time to see the best result we can hope for.

Sounds easy now, but, as s/he has already pointed out, even comparing the cultural notes for the same grex, as all plants will be growing under different conditions, the cultural advices will be as different as the environment is.

There is no simple way, no way to reduce factors, we always have to manage all components at the same time to see the best result we can hope for.

True did not think if that

yes..in agreement :)
:rolleyes: straight from Captain Indecisive!!

Another problem is that the available plants in different areas of the world are so different. For example, the best godefroyaes in the US can't compete against those in Thailand and the far east; and don't get me started about vietnamense!!! :mad:

No, just relatively rare. I just consider the stock that was allowed to be propagated here, which by the way was from plants redistributed from their original importers to "rescue center" growers by the government, to be not quite superior in terms of bloom duration.

I have a chance to buy some seedlings of vietnamense, 7-8cm leaf span, pulling back every time. definitely Franz Glanz now maybe a Fanaticum and vietnamense or a kolopakingii???
worst 'decider' ever!!!

Latest posts

Back