Horned Paph. dianthum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Candace

Reaction score
This is a first bloom for me, but is a division of a friend's plant. It's just opened the first bloom on the spike and I was a bit surprised to see a "horny" protrusion on the staminode. Is this normal? There's a smaller bump underneath it.

dianthum.jpg

Close-up

horn.jpg

I think that horny protrusion is what separates the pardopetalum (lowii and parishii types) from the rest of the multifloral (coryopetalum) group.

That's a good looking dianthum.

... what's that they say? ..... We learn something new every day!;)
.... now it's makin' me wonder, do the X's carry that feature?:confused:

I think that horny protrusion is what separates the pardopetalum (lowii and parishii types) from the rest of the multifloral (coryopetalum) group.

Interesting. I didn't know that.

...that horny protrusion is what separates the pardopetalum (lowii and parishii types) from the rest of the multifloral (coryopetalum) group.....

Candace, have a look at Stephen's site http://www.slipperorchids.info/paphspecies/index.html
All imaged P. dianthum show that tooth/horny protrusion more or less clearly.
I've got to second what all the others have stated, your P. dianthum is a good one.

Best regards from Germany, GuRu

Last edited:
Thanks, I took a look and could only see it in one photo if I looked hard. I don't think it shows up well in photos due to the white on white color. I don't own any dianthum hybrids (that I remember off-hand) but am also curious if it's passed on. Also, does it-the horn, have a correct name?

....Also, does it-the horn, have a correct name?
I don't think so. Braem for instance describes the staminode -"The staminode shield is ovate-oblong, with a sinus in the broader front edge and a prominent tooth at the base...."

Best regards from Germany, Rudolf

Last edited:
The horn or tooth is much more obvious on the lowii side of the family (richardianum, haynaldianum, etc.) than the parishii side.

" The horn or tooth is much more obvious on the lowii side of the family (richardianum, haynaldianum, etc.) than the parishii side. "

As my parishii is still in bloom, I quickly took a pict.!! Jean

o0807201016sliu5.jpg

Latest posts

Back