Hoosier Orchid Co

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I first heard about the auctions I wrote Hoosier because I'm interested in some of the Pleuros and jewels. I can appreciate that the larger collections are prioritised over the individual groupings and then any left-over are sold off, the problem is that I might not have a chance to get some plants I want. Yes, it's a little bit selfish; and it seems there are always ways to get plants an individual really wants so...
And what's wrong w/ my photo taking skills!? :rolleyes:

I bet there are some decaryanas out there. They were on Bert Pressman's list when he was alive and Malala's agent for Redlands--it isn't a species I ever selected (I'm a fool for angraecums), but I certainly should have. Based on that, I'm going to guess Malala has others squirreled away, and that there are others floating around--in France especially...we can only hope, right?!

Perhaps the only one in cultivation in the US is a bit of exaggeration. My bad. I know the plant is rare in captivity and probably extinct in the wild. The point is - there are very few floating around. In the past there were a number of premature pronouncements of plant extinction. Paph delenatii is one that comes to mind. But once a plant truely is extinct in the wild, that is it. Final. No source material to go back to. Rare does not always mean expensive. If the decaryana were reasonalble in price, that does not mean they were common, it only means Malala priced them according to their costs.

Leo

When I first heard about the auctions I wrote Hoosier because I'm interested in some of the Pleuros and jewels. I can appreciate that the larger collections are prioritised over the individual groupings and then any left-over are sold off, the problem is that I might not have a chance to get some plants I want. Yes, it's a little bit selfish; and it seems there are always ways to get plants an individual really wants so...
And what's wrong w/ my photo taking skills!? :rolleyes:

I think in a polite way, Hoosier's would say - if you had ordered those individual plants you wanted when we were in the retail business, we would not have had to go out of business. :poke: Or some other polite version of "you had your chance". Seriously - it is the fall off in retail business that is killing a lot of the commercial guys. If you want to save your local orchid grower - get out there and spend. All of them are having trouble. I'm doing my part, I just paid my $400 invoice from Oak Hill. Sorta like the Presidents tax refund gimic - now get out there and spend it on orchids. :evil:
Leo

Perhaps the only one in cultivation in the US is a bit of exaggeration. My bad. I know the plant is rare in captivity and probably extinct in the wild. The point is - there are very few floating around. In the past there were a number of premature pronouncements of plant extinction. Paph delenatii is one that comes to mind. But once a plant truely is extinct in the wild, that is it. Final. No source material to go back to. Rare does not always mean expensive. If the decaryana were reasonalble in price, that does not mean they were common, it only means Malala priced them according to their costs.

Leo

They were a GREAT price, as were all on the list! If I'd had the cash at the time, I'd have gone for all I thought I'd be able to meet the cultural requirements of. Mistaking "expensive" for "rare" or "reasonably-priced" for "common" would be be unfortunate in many cases--for instance (as you of course know), there are a lot of not-too-showy angraecoids (species in general) that many people wouldn't give anyone five bucks for that should also be preserved.

And :clap: in respect to your comment about supporting the businesses one professes to love if one has the means. I would probably cry if Oak Hill went out of business! If I were a disgustingly-rich woman, I'd be winning all of those angraecoids and having them sent directly to Dundee (after all, I'd still get to buy the results of their great breeding program). I'm not a terrible grower, but I don't belong owning one-ofs or near one-ofs. I sucker unsuspecting "art people" into the growing hobby with my work and leave the time and expertise it requires to breed orchids to the gurus.

I have and also phone calls. I probably wont be able to get a lot [no space and conditions] but if any of the jewel or pleurothalid lots dont get sold off I'm requesting a load of stuff!

I noticed a lot of the slippers listed were noted as having bug problems.

-Ernie

The first round of auctions at Hoosier ended and of course w/ my luck all the Jewel Orchid lots are gone! Hopefully someone I know, [ERICH!!!], got them and I can still get some individual plants. On the 21st the left over individuals go for sale and hopefully I'll have computer access to get some nice pleuros!

Does anyone know which lots did not sell and will be available when individual plants go on sale?

Thanks...

hmmm well I did get a e-mail saying this

October 15, 2008

The following lots are unsold following our auction, which closed yesterday. We are offering them on a “first-come, first serve, make an offer” basis.

Please feel free to make an offer on any of these lots. All offers will be considered. All lots are sold under the same terms as our auction as published with each lot on our website. Making an offer on any lot consititutes acceptance of the terms.

See our website at www. hoosierorchid.com for descriptions of these lots and our terms of sale.

We will respond to all offers by Tuesday, October 21, 2008 at 9AM EDT.

We anticipate publishing lists of remaining individual plants for sale Tuesday, October 21, 2008.

Lot number 1 - Aerangis species & hybrids – collection plants
161 total plants, Minimum bid: $3350.00

Lot number 7 - Angraecoid hybrids – sales plants
313 total plants, Original minimum bid: $2500.00

Lot number 8 - Bulbophyllum & Cirrhopetalum – collection plants
99 total plants, Original minimum bid: $1500.00

Lot number 10 - Catasetum alliance – collection plants
62 total plants, Original minimum bid: $1100.00

Lot number 13 - Epidendrum species & intragenerics – collection plants
107 total plants, Original minimum bid: $1450.00

Lot number 15 - Barkeria & Brassavola species & intragenerics – collection plants
55 total plants, Original minimum bid: $1050.00

Lot number 17 - Cattleya Alliance - Miscellaneous species – collection plants
160 total plants, Original minimum bid: $2700.00

Lot number 18 - Cattleya Alliance – Community Pots
181 community pots, Original minimum bid: $2450.00

Lot number 19 - Encyclia & Epidendrum species - Sales plants
755 total plants, Original minimum bid: $4150.00

Lot number 20 - Encyclia & Epidendrum hybrids - Sales plants
793 total plants, Original minimum bid: $3200

Lot number 22 - Cattleya alliance hybrids - Sales plants
527 total plants, Original minimum bid: $2350.00

Lot number 23 - Coelogyne & related genera – collection & sales plants
148 total plants, Original minimum bid: $1700.00

Lot number 26 - Dendrobium & related genera – collection plants
168 total plants, Original minimum bid: $3050.00

Lot number 27 - Dendrobium & related genera – sales plants
354 total plants, Original minimum bid: $2400

Lot number 28 - Lycaste & related genera – collection plants
195 total plants, Original minimum bid: $6750.00

Lot number 29 - Lycaste & related genera – sales plants
241 total plants, Original minimum bid: $3750.00

Lot number 30 - Maxillaria & related genera – collection & sales plants
339 total plants, Original minimum bid: $2550.00

Lot number 32 - Masdevallia hybrids – collection plants
491 total plants, Original minimum bid: $3800.00

Lot number 34 - Dracula & Dracuvallia – collection plants
181 total plants, Original minimum bid: $2600.00

Lot number 37 - Masdevallia hybrids – sales plants
1231 total plants, Original minimum bid: $4750.00

Lot number 38 - Dracula & Dracuvallia – sales plants
448 total plants, Original minimum bid: $3000.00

Lot number 39 - Oncidium & Odontoglossum - collection plants
181 total plants, Original minimum bid: $2250.00

Lot number 40 - Trichopilia & relatives - collection plants
150 total plants, Original minimum bid: $3000.00

Lot number 41 - Oncidium alliance species & hybrids - collection plants
149 total plants, Original minimum bid: $1350.00

Lot number 42 - Oncidium & Odontoglossum - sales plants
398 total plants, Original minimum bid: $1500.00

Lot number 44 - Paphiopedilum species & hybrids – collection plants
143 total plants, Original minimum bid: $2300.00

Lot number 47 - Phaius & related – collection & sales plants
161 total plants, Original minimum bid: $1750

Lot number 49 - Phalaenopsis – sales plants
289 total plants, Original minimum bid: $2500.00

Lot number 50 - Pleurothallis – collection plants
251 total plants, Original minimum bid: $3250.00

Lot number 53 - Miscellaneous Pleurothallids - collection plants
265 total plants, Original minimum bid: $2850.00

Lot number 54 - Pleurothallis - sales plants
288 total plants, Original minimum bid: $2050.00

Lot number 57 - Miscellaneous Pleurothallids - sales plants
808 total plants, Original minimum bid: $2200.00

Lot number 58 - Catasetum Alliance - sales plants
199 total plants, Original minimum bid: $1000.00

Lot number 60 - Stanhopea species & hybrids - collection plants
121 total plants, Original minimum bid: $2500.00

Lot number 64 - Stanhopea species & hybrids – sales plants
316 total plants, Original minimum bid: $1850.00

Lot number 65 - Gongora species – sales plants
593 total plants, Original minimum bid: $3400.00

Lot number 66 - Gongora hybrids – sales plants
478 total plants, Original minimum bid: $2400.00

Lot number 67 - Miscellaneous Stanhopea alliance – sales plants
151 total plants, Original minimum bid: $1000.00

Lot number 68 - Ascocentrum & Vanda – collection plants
100 total plants, Original minimum bid: $2000.00

Lot number 69 - Aerides, Neofinetia, Renanthera & Rhynchostylis - collection plants
94 total plants, Original minimum bid: $1850.00

Lot number 70 - Miscellaneous Vandaceous – collection plants
140 total plants, Original minimum bid: $2700.00

Lot number 71 - Vandaceous species – sales plants
322 total plants, Original minimum bid: $2250.00

Lot number 72 - Vandaceous hybrids – sales plants
131 total plants, Original minimum bid: $850.00

Lot number 78 - Miscellaneous species - collection plants
112 total plants, Original minimum bid: $1250.00

Lot number 79 - Miscellaneous species & hybrids - sales plants
119 total plants, Original minimum bid: $650.00

Lot number 80 - Bulbophyllum alliance & Calanthe species & hybrids - sales plants
182 total plants, Original minimum bid: $1000.00

Lot number 84 - Spiranthes & related species & hybrids - collection plants
188 total plants, Original minimum bid: $3750.00

Lot number 85 - Spiranthes & related species & hybrids - sales plants
330 total plants, Original minimum bid: $1750.00

Latest posts

Back