Hoosier Orchid Co

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

cwt

Just read in Orchid Digest they are closing down?!?!?!? So sad when the big guys disappear.
Charles

this is what the website has on it

July 28, 2008

To our friends & customers,

Nineteen years ago Hoosier Orchid Company moved into our facilities here on the northwest side of Indianapolis, building on a tradition of providing species and fine hybrid orchids that traced back through Sea Breeze Orchids, Great Lakes Orchids and Margaret Ilgenfritz Orchids. We joined our legacy with those of Fred Hillerman, the late Madeline Elder, Steve Stevenson, John Schwind and others. Over these 19 years we have experienced great success in getting to know our customers, providing you with fantastic service as well as fine plants, and the joy of learning about orchids and sharing our love of orchids with you.

It is in recognition of that joy and success that I write to let you know that Hoosier Orchid Company will close as a retail nursery on August 30, 2008. We have enjoyed growing and sharing our orchids, developing new and exciting lines of breeding, discovering new species, speaking to orchid societies, educating our local customers, displaying at shows around the country, making rare species available, and so many other aspects of our business. Our closing is a bittersweet recognition of the changing aspects of the orchid industry and societal trends.

We are in the process of inventorying our plants and breeding program, and will shortly be offering these items for sale. We will be offering groups of plants and flasks for sale first, and then we will be making a general offer of our inventory to the public. Many plants we offer will be from our breeding and display collections gathered over nearly thirty years and will include awarded plants and species otherwise unavailable, as well as new and groundbreaking hybrids, and our flask collection.

Sales of our inventory will be in a deliberate, public way with email and web announcements of offerings at each stage. Until August 30th we will continue our regular business, and sales will continue through our website and at our nursery. Following August 30th we will begin our inventory reduction.

Please inquire if you wish to be added to our e-mail list to receive updates on our closing offerings.

Thank you for your patronage and friendship over these years.

Sincerely,

William Ames Rhodehamel
President, Hoosier Orchid Company

I can't help but wonder what he means by, "changing aspects of the orchid industry and societal trends." Any thoughts?

It is sad. I had some plants from them before my mother killed the plants. It's a terrible shame to lose such a big name in the industry.

This is what I hear from breeders, judges, AOS insider types:

The bread and butter sales of corsage cattleya and hybrid phals have fallen to bellow margins. Nobody wears corsages any more, and hybrid phals are mericloned for almost nothing in Taiwan. The weather in Taiwan reduces operating costs even compared to Florida conditions.

Slippers are still resistant to mass production and holding price, but just don't command that much market share.

The number of young people entering the hobby is fairly low (maybe just reflecting demographics), and the old folks collections are maxed out. Young people are spending all their money in video games, and live in apartments, so can't develop big collections. Many societies have declining memberships that also reflect above demographics.

The cost of gas is making it tougher for both vendors and customers to make it to shows. In general show sales amounts have really dropped off.

This isn't organized it's just what I hear. In many ways it seems like if your business is based on hybrid catts or phals then it's in trouble. Species are getting real niche and competitive.

I can't help but wonder what he means by, "changing aspects of the orchid industry and societal trends." Any thoughts?

It is sad. I had some plants from them before my mother killed the plants. It's a terrible shame to lose such a big name in the industry.

Hoosier and a handful of other vendors have regularly attended our show (Dayton, Ohio) for the last few years. During our Saturday evening dinners, many vendors talk of experiencing hard times due to slacking sales, and increased energy costs are hitting their bottom line. They have talked about very bad turnouts and sales at many shows throughout the last few years. Areas around Michigan and Ohio, where the loss of jobs in the auto markets and supporting industries seem to be problem areas. (Unfortunately, im in one of those areas, and (still) work in the auto industry).

Societal trends seems to be people are pinching their wallets (how much is gas), and not spending as much on luxuries such as orchids. Changing aspects of the orchid industry....one of the things ive seen is an increase in peoples interest in orchids, but at a "shallower" level. By this i mean the following. Though there is a slumping trend in part of the orchid market, one part is booming. Mass production orchid mega farms are pumping out Phals and the like by the millions. They are flooding the market (grocery stores, Lowes, etc.) More people are aware of orchids today, but most of them only know about Phals (and the like), and that they want them to be big, pretty, and cheap. If they go to a show, they only want to buy orchids that are big pretty and cheap. This past Feb, we had record attendance at our show of over 3000. All our vendors did quite well, but the ones who did the best, are the ones who have seen this trend and have adjusted accordingly. Even if they are "species snobs", or think bulbos are the coolest of all, they realize the mass public is not. The only way some outfits (especially if they are smaller) are holding on is to cater to this issue.

I dont know if this trend is affecting all parts of the US orchid market, or if its localized to certain regions. 1 year ago, a vendor (Summerfield) informed us they were closing up shop and getting out of the orchid business. This past Feb, another told us that if they did not do well throughout the rest of this year, they would not be back in Feb 09. If things got real bad, they might be out for good also. We had heard rumors about Hoosier in late 07 early 08, but nothing definite was mentioned. Once they began having their big sales this spring and summer, i feared the worse.

Leon G. has represented them each year for the couple ive been involved with our show. They have been such an important part of our show, and not having them and Leon there just wont be the same.

This is what I hear from breeders, judges, AOS insider types:

The bread and butter sales of corsage cattleya and hybrid phals have fallen to bellow margins. Nobody wears corsages any more, and hybrid phals are mericloned for almost nothing in Taiwan. The weather in Taiwan reduces operating costs even compared to Florida conditions.

Slippers are still resistant to mass production and holding price, but just don't command that much market share.

The number of young people entering the hobby is fairly low (maybe just reflecting demographics), and the old folks collections are maxed out. Young people are spending all their money in video games, and live in apartments, so can't develop big collections. Many societies have declining memberships that also reflect above demographics.

The cost of gas is making it tougher for both vendors and customers to make it to shows. In general show sales amounts have really dropped off.

This isn't organized it's just what I hear. In many ways it seems like if your business is based on hybrid catts or phals then it's in trouble. Species are getting real niche and competitive.

I agree 100%. This is what ive seen and heard.

I would also say we are seeing these effects at the monthly AOS judgings. Most of the plants shown at judging come from the judges. There are months where there may be only a plant or two, or none at all.
It use to be that judgings were supported by the commercial growers, now that few have survived, there are almost no submissions by them.
This is not only affecting the Orchid world, but many plant societies in general.
So sad for us plant lovers....not sure what the future holds!
Peter

What the Orchid world needs in general is more public exposure. That's why it's such a shame about the GNYOS show cancelations. In the evolving 10 second sound bite media any specials about orchids need to be aired more.

Eric, what you are saying is totally correct. I remember that in the 1980 era how many articles was published in magazines. Even that is not happening anymore.

We have to get a lot of public interest in orchids with WOC21 in 2014. So we have to expose people to orchids again. During the past few months we have started with different ideas to do this, one is to have a big Orchid Expo every March, starting next year. We even got a Magazine involved.

For the past 4 months I have done a number of radio programs, and the feedback and people phoning in is tremendous. From November I will have my own half hour progam weekly countrywide, just on orchids.

What we are now realising, is that there is still a lot of peple interested, but they are not part of organised society life anymore, and apart from internet, have no way of reading or participate in orchid related matters.

We have also got the go ahead for a series of TV programs, and we found the sponsors to do it. If handled correctly, that would bring a lot of people back to active orchid growing. And this in a third world country like South Africa!!

My 2 cents worth.

Charles

It would be cool to have a Crocodile Hunter like show. Extreme Orchids!

With expeditions to bring them back from the wild (with permits of course).

Flower them and garner AOS awards!

Despite all the major advances in biology, I heard that there is a decline in college admissions for any biological subjects in general.

What the Orchid world needs in general is more public exposure....

.....We have to get a lot of public interest in orchids with WOC21 in 2014. So we have to expose people to orchids again. During the past few months we have started with different ideas to do this, one is to have a big Orchid Expo every March, starting next year. We even got a Magazine involved.
For the past 4 months I have done a number of radio programs, and the feedback and people phoning in is tremendous. From November I will have my own half hour progam weekly countrywide, just on orchids.
What we are now realising, is that there is still a lot of peple interested, but they are not part of organised society life anymore, and apart from internet, have no way of reading or participate in orchid related matters.
We have also got the go ahead for a series of TV programs, and we found the sponsors to do it. If handled correctly, that would bring a lot of people back to active orchid growing. And this in a third world country like South Africa!!My 2 cents worth. Charles

Congrats!!! Sounds exciting - TV - Radio! I agree with you guys to a degree. In some ways this seems like a double edged sword - wouldn't you be sending newbies to the big box stores, supporting the big commercial growers? Unfortunately, a Lowes or Home Depot is in practically every town, it's going to be easier, cheaper on the purchase & cheaper on gas for newbies to go to one of them. Would they be willing to drive 30-45-60 minutes or more to go to an orchid GH? Would you be interviewing or visiting the 'little guys'?

We probably would send them to the big chain stores, but there is normally only phallies available.
The idea is to take the cameras around to collectors and hobbyists, so that people can become used to the idea of having a collection at home, or in the backyard.
We do not have real bigtime commercial growers here, mostly taiwanese stuff imported by entrepeneurs. But the few so called commercial guys are mostly situated close to the big cities, and exposure to them would obviously be to their benefit. The sad thing is they also rely on imported massproduced stuff.
There is just not real breeders in this country.
During the past few weeks I also came to realise that there is also not really good, quality stuff available for people to breed with. (sorry Faan, I know you have some) Maybe we will inspire some young people to do something and see some real breeding and some commercial structure again.( Big dream, but I am allowed to dream!!!!)

My son told me this morning he is leaving our bussiness, he wants to go to the US to learn something about orchids.....
Charles

Latest posts

Back