Ho Chi Minh

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can use pretty much any potting mix that work well for you and your plants. Whatever you use, you just have to adjust watering.
I prefre bark (orchiata) based mix rather than having moss as a base mix.
Maudiae type hybrids can last very long in bloom. Most commonly they last two months easily. Three is not uncommon and four months is definitely possible. Masterisanum lasts very long in bloom and many of these hybrids have mastersianum in its linage somewhere.
Mastersianum is also known for a very long spike. Things like lawrenceanum can have pretty long spike as well.
WOW!! I could never in my wildest imagination thought there was so much to learn about one plant! Thank you so much for the information about my big boy! I'm saving this post too.

An update on this flower:
The dreaded brown spots started to appear on the dorsal yesterday.
So, this flower lasted for 6-7 days in pristine conditions. It took about two days for the bud to open up fully and I start counting from the third day until the day the brown spots began to appear.
The flower shape stayed nicely the whole time. Often, petals tend to grow more in length and curl backward or twist around or droop on this hybrid.
I’m keeping this one 😁

WOW!! I could never in my wildest imagination thought there was so much to learn about one plant! Thank you so much for the information about my big boy! I'm saving this post too.
This is for Happypaphy7: I did look at the 2 types of maudiae and mine comes from the lawrenceanum type. Thanks again.

An update on the flower while at it.
The flower is still maintaining its shape perfectly fine even with lots of brown spots on it.
This is very strange because my other HCM would wither and drop its flower fast (barely two days perhaps) once a few brown spots appear.
I have to say it is not the prettiest thing to look at in this state. hahaha

HCM album?? Is there a vietnamense album to make album HCM??

P. vietnamense album and HCM allbum exist. I think about 10 years ago Popow sold flasks of HCM album.
I've growing a HCM album (at least it's written on the tag) since some years but it hasn't flowered yet. Maybe in 1 or 2 years time.
It was Berthold who flowered a HCM album some years ago and I think, he showed photos here, too.

Haha the Germans and the Swiss have many hidden gems! It’s quite a challenge to ‘procure’ the plants from them.
Ha, ha Leslie......these Germans....

Last edited:
Back