Hi everyone.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... I did get one of those Raisin pie orchids there last year. Cool leaves. Are those things related to the Purpuratum?

Another welcome to Slippertalk...

Paph Raisin Pie is a fairly simple hybrid:

sukhakulii x [(callosum x lawrenceanum) x (barbatum x lawrenceanum)]*

So no Paph purpuratum in that family tree, but all these species are in the same subgenus or section of genus Paphiopedilum (depending on whose classification you follow), so they are related in that sense. And Paph sukhakulii is considered one of the closest relatives of Paph purpuratum. If you see references to Paph Maudiae-type hybrids, this is an example of what they're talking about. They all have similar patterned leaves.

* callosum x lawrenceanum = Paph Maudiae
barbatum x lawrenceanum = Paph Almum
Maudiae x Almum = Paph Clarissa

Welcome!

Is your plant Paph. Raisin Pie or Supersuk x Raisin Pie?
The reason I ask is because the latter are very commonly traded.
I used to have so many as they were literally everywhere.
I even picked one up at a super market while vacationing in Northern Cali. :)

The leaves on this type of paphiopedilums are so cool!
My favorite kind of paphs.

I also have Norito Hasegawa in bud.
would love to see it open, both yours and mine. :)

Actually that plant had about five buds and none ever opened. It was just a NOID rescue that I killed. I just liked the leaves so I took a bunch of pictures anyways. Yeah that Norito Hasegawa bud didn't open. The thing just turned brown. The actual plant seems fine though.

Sometimes buds just dry up and never make it.
Hopefully you will see it flower next year.

Mine is slowly developing the bud finally after bring in bud/spike for the past 6 months!!! Slowest bud/spike I've ever had.
Better be good! :)

Regarding the other type with pretty leaves, I see what you mean.
Sometimes I keep ones with ugly flowers but very pretty leaves so I can enjoy the leaves.

Welcome to Slipper Talk

In Kansas City area there is an active orchid society. Consider attending a few meetings, if you like it, join.

Bird's Botanicals is in that Cave - underground quarry, storage area. They have some nice orchids, including many Paphs. David Bird is a good guy.

Yeah I've heard about those caves. Actually if there's enough light I bet it would work well in Kansas. Greenhouses get way too hot to enjoy. I don't live near there though. Jackson's Greenhouse in Topeka does have some good Paphiopedilums but it's not their main thing.

Latest posts

Back