Hey there orchid folks

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Migrant13

Mature growth?
Reaction score
I just signed up to the forum and am already enjoying the posts....especially the great pic's. I live in the Boston suburbs and grow on windowsills and under lights. I basically summer my plants outside and then haul them back in when frost hits in the fall. I grow a variety but lately find myself gravitating towards the paphs. I have learned a ton already from this forum and hope to be able to contribute something back over time. Lots blooming now for me and I will post some pics soon. Have a perhaps typical orchid obsession story from last weekend. We had a 2-3ft snowstorm last weekend up here that started on Friday afternoon and really hit hard Friday nite/Sat. morning. My wife and I decided on Friday we would head north into Nashua, NH for an orchid show. Of course we got a late start and arrived around 2pm after a slow drive through moderate snow. On the way up, we heard that Massachusetts was closing their roads at 4pm. No big deal of course except that the orchid show was not crowded, there were tons of great plants to soak in and photograph and plenty of our favorite vendors with whom we had the luxury of being able to chat up for advice since they weren't too busy. Trying to ignore the clock we kept chatting and picked a few a plants like a paph liemianum and a cymbidium sinense from Piping Rock and a few cool epi species from Andy's including Epidendrum corifolium and Epi. quisayanum. Long story short we left for home at 4pm in a now driving snowstorm and crawled behind a squadron of snow plows before arriving well after the curfew. Kinda felt like we were playing hooky from school! My only regret was we did not have enough time to get back over the weekend and really soak it all in....too busy digging out.

Welcome to Slippertalk, Migrant13! Anyone who would brave a significant snowstorm to go to an orchids show is truly an orchid addict -- er -- aficionado!

Hey there from NYC! I love Boston! My son lives in Brookline, so I'm up there pretty often.....are you the guy I met who has the cyps and Spiranthes growing in front of his home?

welcome!

Welcome to ST from KY. Snow storms on an orchid weekend is baaaad
juju.

years ago when I was in the binghamton area (STOS) the club was going to have a show (march) and there was a huge snowstorm predicted, so since vendors and judges were going to have to travel a distance they canceled the show the day before. turned out that it didn't snow a flake :confused: :)

a few years after that, I was attending a meeting in the syracuse area (CNYOS) and there was lake effect snow predicted. eric christenson was the scheduled speaker and he did arrive and talk, but on the way to the member/host's house for overnight stay the blizzard whiteout caused their vehicle to leave the road on the ny state thruway. i'm sure that it was one of eric's most memorable club visits

Back