Hepatica???

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tocarmar

Reaction score
Here are a few pics of the plants I found in the woods buy my house!! These were taken about 2 weeks ago! I was there yesterday and there are probably around 100 of them. I found 3 different colors white, light blue ( lavender), & dark blue! :) I think Hacone has the same posted in his thread but I'm not sure!!

cypsspring2012003.jpg

cypsspring2012002.jpg

cypsspring2012001.jpg

Enjoy!! I will post more pics soon of the other colors I found!!

Hey Tom, these were pretty common in the woods of southern New York state when I was a kid. I'm sure they still are. The species is H. nobilis v. obtusa, AKA H. americana. Look also for N. nobilis v. acuta AKA H. acutilobia in your neck of the woods. Great plants for early interest in the late winter/early spring garden. Here in Japan they are called yukiwarisou - the plant that breaks the snow.

I don't remember planting it, but I have one that came up in one of my perennial beds this week. I'm glad I know it's name now.

A few more pics

Here are a few more pics..

Hepaticas2012006.jpg

Hepaticas2012004.jpg

Hepaticas2012005.jpg

Hepaticas2012001.jpg

Enjoy!!! Sorry for the blurry pics. I was trying not to crush others in the area.. Plus I borrowed NYErics camera!! :)

those pine needles are in very sharp focus! ;)

I looked this up and recognize the leaves from native orchid searches, but don't remember the flowers. Maybe I need to get out earlier in the season!

The area these are in is pine/cedar duff with some oak mixed in growing on the south-west facing knolls next to a lake!!alot of rocks, granite i think!! They have been in bloom around 3 weeks now with more buds coming up!! There are probably 100++ plants here, spread out over an area of 100ft x maybe 30ft.

got a macro setting on that camera? :)

I've noticed our other spring ephemerals were pulled out their slumber early this year because of that early heat wave, and now sub-freezing temps again at night here in VT. Look around your hepatica area, I bet you'll find some bloodroot and others as April progresses.

Latest posts

Back