Henryanum 08

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Reaction score
I got this henryanum from Andy's a few years ago. My OL henryanum looks like its going to take a break this year. Anyway this one doesn't have fantastic form, but I think it has great color, and pretty decent size (about 8.5 cm span).

It has a second bud open and 3 more spikes in bud coming up.

I don't have the species, but I do have a few primary crosses, and they are among my favorites. Your henryanum is very nice, even if it doesn't play exactly by the judges' rules...

I don't have the species, but I do have a few primary crosses, and they are among my favorites. Your henryanum is very nice, even if it doesn't play exactly by the judges' rules...
I suspect this is a more "normal" henry, not one whose roundness has been enhanced by line breeding.

Compared to the OL flower its pretty average. You can see daylight between the bottom edge of the dorsal sepal and the petals.

It could be the angle of the camera too. If you lower the camera & aim the angle a little more upward, I am sure you would not see much of the daylight in between the sepal & the petal.

It could be the angle of the camera too. If you lower the camera & aim the angle a little more upward, I am sure you would not see much of the daylight in between the sepal & the petal.

That's cheating:poke::poke: I really like this flower, but there really is a big difference between the two lines. The bottom edge of the DS of this flower does curl back leaving the gap you see. There is no curl on the larger DS of the OL flower that creates a true overlap of the DS and petals. Probably the best attribute of this flower is the petal background color, which is a purplish color instead of the dark mahogany that many henryanums usually have.

very nice but I like the recurved dorsals. I have often wondered which is the more "original" or "natural."

very nice but I like the recurved dorsals. I have often wondered which is the more "original" or "natural."

Don't know Ed. In Vietnam this species is highly variable in form and color, even with a relatively small range compared to hirsutisium and villosum. So I wouldn't be surprised if the extra big and flat ones have as many generations behind them as other species.

That's cheating:poke::poke: I really like this flower, but there really is a big difference between the two lines. The bottom edge of the DS of this flower does curl back leaving the gap you see. There is no curl on the larger DS of the OL flower that creates a true overlap of the DS and petals. Probably the best attribute of this flower is the petal background color, which is a purplish color instead of the dark mahogany that many henryanums usually have.
Actually, I just look at some of the awarded henryanum in AQ magazines today, some AM, some HCC, and they definitely look inferior to yours.
Some even have more window gaps between the petals & dorsal sepal.

Back