Help wanted! Please read and consider!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sirius

Plant Nerd
Reaction score
I am going to give this one last serious attempt, and then I am going to have to try something else.

I want to build a new website, called the Orchid History Project. I have registered a domain name... www.orchidhistory.org ... and have plans to launch this coming January 2012, with at least the first ten articles. Next January is the 150th anniversary of Charles Darwin's famous prediction that Angraecum sesquipedale had a moth pollinator with a ridiculously long tongue. You have probably all heard the story, and it's a well known "beginner" orchid enthusiast story. I think it's well known enough, that I made it part of the logo for the OHP.

logosmall2.gif

I started doing research for the OHP in my spare time, not really sure what I would find. I am sure there are skeptics out there who believe that nothing really interesting exists in the way of images of early orchid history. I am here to tell you that you are going to be amazed if the information I have gathered can be organized and published on the OHP website. I have at least 10,000 scanned pages from books, magazines, catalogs and other ephemera. I have photos that will blow your mind. Have you seen Abraham Lincoln's orchid collection? I have.

Currently, only one person has shown an interest in volunteering for the site. I need more help than that. I can't possibly write all the articles, edit all the photos, digitize all the film (yes, film!) and visit all the libraries where even more great books, magazines, catalogs and photos exist. Anyone live near Cornell University?

So, please please please consider writing for the OHP. You don't have to be a great writer. We can help edit your article, and you will still receive writing credit. You will not have to spend all your time researching information for your article. All that work will be done for you. All you have to do is write an encyclopedia type entry for the given subject. You can even choose a topic, long or short. I even need people who are willing to write just a paragraph.

The time to start is past due. If we don't get started right now, the January launch date will come and go with only one or two articles, and very little photo or video media on the site. Help me preserve what information we have, so that in the future we can all enjoy the history of orchid exploration and cultivation. It is extremely important.

I'll try to find time John. I already write the newsletter for my society and it's even harder to find people to write articles in french. Not to mention my other writings, those I wish to make money from eventually. I make no promise but I'll try to write something about the origin of the name Lycaste.

The research will be provided. You will simply rewrite the information in your own words, and then we will help you cite the sources and clean up any grammatical or structural problems at the end. I will prepare any images or video we have for the article, and put it all together for the website. You will be credited as the author, as will the editors.

If you are truly interested in knowing more, or want to get started choosing which article you want to write, please contact me at [email protected]

Include your full name, your forum name and make sure the email address you reply from is the best way to email you.

Latest posts

Back