Help for my friend; I have the pics...

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbud

Orchid Maniac
Reaction score
Here's what she's asking:

Got this rascal 2 yrs ago, had a great spike, which I promptly broke off after bring home. So I have been patiently waiting for an actual bloom.
Well what is this looks like a keiki, but never saw a paph with a keiki...
the spike is fuzzy like a regular flower spike...but a whole lot of plant inside.
Has anyone had this and what does it do?

Here are the pictures:
Paphiopedilum parishii x Pinocchio

PaphiopedilumparishiixPinocchio.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

Thanks for looking. I figure if anyone knows what this is it would be you guys.

That looks like a bract.

a bract is a modified or specialized leaf, especially one associated with a reproductive structure such as a flower, inflorescence axis, or cone scale. Bracts are often (but not always) different from foliage leaves. They may be smaller, larger, or of a different color, shape, or texture. Typically, they also look different from the parts of the flower, such as the petals and/or sepals. (from wikipedia)

For a Paph this is really bizzare. They are not known for keikies in the Phale tradition of the word. But this looks like a small growth at the end of a short spike that is now starting to develop bracts in the crown and bud out.

Pinocchio is a long term sequential bloomer, and parrishii is a multi floral. So you might be getting this regrowth from the Pinocchio parent. Did the spike break off above an old node? Did she apply any hormones?

I think it's nothing more than a regular inflorescence with some rather robust flower bracts. I predict that it will bloom out normally; just with enormous bracts.

I think it's nothing more than a regular inflorescence with some rather robust flower bracts. I predict that it will bloom out normally; just with enormous bracts.

Bracts that are half the size of regular leaves, and regrowth off an old busted spike I wouldn't call regular.

Maybe I'm missing something, but is this a whole new spike from a new growth (that was previously unbloomed)? Or is this regrowth from an old broken spike?

Use of the term keikis is suggesting to me this is an old spike come back to life.

This is very unusual. I wonder it there's something genetically off about this plant. Or if the temps. did something freaky to it. But, I'm curious to see if it flowers normally or not.

The inflorescences on both my Paph. moquettianum have/had leaf-like bracts. It might be the Cochlopetalum (Paph. Pinocchio) influence? Fingers crossed that it blooms normally for your friend.

I'm with those that think it's a flower spike. If it were a plantlet, wouldn't there be signs of roots at the base where the leaves come from the stem?

This is a brand new spike from a new growth. I've seen huge bracts on my cochlos before too. I see nothing out of the usual.

Update on emerging Paph.

Here's a shot of the progress of my friends paph. It should be a beauty of a flower when she finally emerges.

paphbud.jpg

While it's unusual, it's not unheard of. I've had paphs that had leaf-like bracts, and even a new plant that came of the apex of the growth instead of a flower spike.

Latest posts

Back