Hello from Vancouver, Canada

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaljala

Reaction score
I have been reading this forum for a while, so I think it is time for a little introduction and greeting to all.
I wanted to say how much I appreciate the quality of this forum, the photographs in many posts are stunning (a big difference with other places online...) and many discussions are very informative, precise and helpful :clap:
although I miss some of the good old 'look at my new phal rescued from HD' :evil:

In a few words, I am a Frenchie living in Canada, the beautiful area of Vancouver, British Columbia, where we are lucky to have a very cool and humid climate, we just miss the warmth to feel like in tropical forest :rollhappy: so it is very good to grow Pleurothallids on the porch of the house or on the roof ! I have a very small culture area in an appartment, so way less orchids than I would love to have...:sob: but I still manage to have a bit of bio-diversity my kitchen, including :
Phrag Jason Fischer (seedling from Jason himself :p), Paph hybrid reliable bloomer (Oriental Lawrence x Clair de Lune), Paph helenae (seedling, never bloomed yet)
a few Masdevallia (outside most of the year), a few Neofinetia (I love Neos... if I could I would have dozens... but for now only : 'Oonami Seikai'
, 'Benisuzume', 'Hisui', 'Seibotan', 'Tougen' ), a few Maxillaria (sophronitis, skunkeana, tenuifolia), and some miniature I love too : Chiloschista, Schoenorchis fragrans, Podangis dactyloceras, Pteroceras semiteretifolium,...

Sorry for the lengh of this introduction, I am looking forward to reading more from you guys, and happy growing !

Just a few pics:
Neofinetia 'Tougen' (not completely sure of the form, no tag when I bought it but it is close...) from 2009 bloom, it is currently growing 4 spikes, yeahhh !!! I will post more pics when in full bloom
Paphiopedilum Oriental Lawrence x Clair de Lune
Masdevallia coccinea alba
Schoenorchis fragrans

Attachments

• IMG_22861.jpg
    IMG_22861.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_22924.jpg
    IMG_22924.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_24086.jpg
    IMG_24086.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_25082.jpg
    IMG_25082.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 20
Welcome to Slippertalk, Jaljala! Nice introduction, and good-looking plants and photos, as well.

I'm going to have to take a look at my Shoenorchis fragrans to see if it has a spike yet.

Thank you for your warm welcome,
Tom, indeed I love Cyps, I need to find some room to grow a few in the backyard !!! There is a nice botanical garden near my place and they have Cyp. japonicum growing 'all natural' in the forest, it is nice !
SlipperFan and Eric, thanks, it took me 2 years to get Schoenorchis to bloom (too dry before) and now it seems to like the terrarium I have it in, lots of new roots now that the bloom is over.
Paphioboy, this paphio is not exceptional but I like the shape and color of the bloom, plus the foliage is nice (mottled) and more importantly, my wife loves it, so it is a sort of leverage to get more :p
Jean, the Masdevallia coccinea alba is very nice but picky about the conditions of culture, it loves it cold ! So far, it likes it in Vancouver, plenty of new leaves this summer on the patio, so hopefully many spikes at the end of the winter...

Bienvenue au forum Jaljala et bravo pour le coccinea alba! Je t'envie de pouvoir les faire pousser à l'extérieur toute l'année. :)

Welcome to the forum. Nice pics! My faves are the cool white masdevallia and the super shoenorchis!! Great growing!

Hi Paphman, nice to hear about the tetraspis ;)
Hey Jorch, your Neos are doing great at my place, the Oonami seikai is in spike !!! I hope the Madevallia Dean Haas you got from me is doing okay :D

Latest posts

Back