Hello from Puerto Rico

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ricardo Boricua

Reaction score
I live in Puerto Rico. I work in endangered species conservation. I used to have a large orchid collection. The aftermath of hurricanes Irma and Maria resulted in the loss of most of my plants. I now have a much reduced collection, which perhaps is for the best. Among my orchids I have a few Paphiopedilum. I want to learn more about them. This forum is the ideal place to learn.

Hello Ricardo and a warm welcome to ST from Germany.
Puerto Rico must be a great place to live ... if there weren't these really severe hurricanes from time to time.

Hi Ricardo, from Cuba
I know pefectly when you talk about hurricanes, the meaning of their damages!!!!
Here Amazona leucocephala are affected always by hurricanes. Palms always comedown destroying their eggs!!
Muy Paph collection is always evacuated when hurricanes!!

Hi Ricardo, from Cuba
I know pefectly when you talk about hurricanes, the meaning of their damages!!!!
Here Amazona leucocephala are affected always by hurricanes. Palms always comedown destroying their eggs!!
Muy Paph collection is always evacuated when hurricanes!!
I moved all my orchids to a safe place. But the hurricane destroyed the canopy of the forest were I live causing a severe change in the local temperature, humidity, rainfall and light exposure. The cane was too much for many plants. My locality was without electric service for eight months. So many trees fell on the road to my house we were isolated for two weeks. What really shocked us was that some trees, as they fell, with their roots ripped out the waterpipes.

Welcome from Montana! So sorry to hear about the loss of many of your plants during what sounds like an all-around traumatic time. Glad you are here.

Ricardo, do you still have your impressive plants of Dendrobium anosmum?
I still have many of them, but in the aftermath of the hurricane most lost their tags and decreased in size. They are slowly coming back and in a few years I expect to have a few of them back to their impressive size. I lost my varieties from Thailand, a very dark form and a very peculiar one that would produce red bordered leaves and whose origin I could not ascertain. So far I have been able to bloom var. dearei, hutonii, delacourii and the ones from the Philippines, if there are other varieties among my plants they have yet to bloom. I expect that in some years I will be able to have back the wall of flowers I used to hang from the side of the house.

Very nice!!!!

Such as???

I moved all my orchids to a safe place. But the hurricane destroyed the canopy of the forest were I live causing a severe change in the local temperature, humidity, rainfall and light exposure. The cane was too much for many plants. My locality was without electric service for eight months. So many trees fell on the road to my house we were isolated for two weeks. What really shocked us was that some trees, as they fell, with their root
The must we have been without electricity by hurricanes affectation have been 7 days. Enough to all foods put bad. I live in an elevation and the strong air sounds terrific. Several hurricanes eyes have crossed above the place where I live.
Till now no damage to my paphs. They stay at home!!!

Latest posts

Back