Hello, from Minnesota

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

musiclovertony

Hello :)

I'm Anthony. I live in Plymouth, Minnesota, USA; a suburb about 20 miles west of our state capitol. I'm a full time student nurse and I work at a hospital pharmacy as a technician. As my name implies, I'm entirely infatuated with music. I used to play a few instruments, though now I'm really only able to fumble my way through a few songs on the guitar :rolleyes:

I'm a nature enthusiast. I love full day, off trail hikes, though I'm equally content finding a nice place to just sit. I enjoy taking photos, but can't pretend I'm terribly proficient (http://www.flickr.com/photos/musicloveranthony/).

I guess I'm pretty lucky as an orchid appreciator, living where I do. I'm about a mile from Orchids Limited and fortunate to live in a state rich with native orchids, however difficult some are to get to :\ my favorite native (to Minnesota) orchid is either Platanthera praeclara, or Cypripedium reginae.

I grow a pretty mixed bag as far as orchids go. I definitely find myself partial to slippers, especially Paphiopedilum. My plants are as follows:

Aliceara Pacific Nova 'Butter Buds'
Anacheilium radiata
Brassia gireoudiana
Brassolaelia Richard Mueller 'Orchid Heights' x Laeliocattleya Rojo (4N)
Brassolaelia Yellow Bird
Brassolaeliocattleya Keowee 'Newberry'
Brassolaeliocattleya Momilani Rainbow 'The Gypsy'
Bulbophyllum carunculatum
Bulbophyllum nymphopolitanum
Clowesia Grace Dunn (In spike)
Dendrobium Rosy Tips x Sri Racha
Doritaenopsis Fire Cracker 'Blue Martini'
Paphiopedilum Delophyllum (In bloom)
Paphiopedilum Jogjae
Paphiopedilum Luna Moth x [Onyx 'Green Ice' x Raisin Magic 'Wharton']
Paphiopedilum Macabre Magic
Paphiopedilum Oberhausen's Diamant
Paphiopedilum Petula's Song
Paphiopedilum Phoebe
Paphiopedilum Pinocchio (1 growth in bloom, 1 in spike)
Paphiopedilum Prime Child
Paphiopedilum primulinum x Mystic Isle 'Hsinying'
Phragmipedium La Vivace Epicure Phyllis D. Turner
Phragmipedium Paul Eugene Conroy
Phragmipedium Predator
Pollardia livida
Promenaea paulensis
Sophronitis cernua
Stanhopea grandiflora
Stanhopea jenischiana
Stanhopea ruckeri
Stanhopea wardii

I have made plenty of mistakes in my growing and have thrown away quite a few plants, but I enjoy learning.

I look forward to being a member of the forum

Attachments

• rsz_2p1040669.jpg
    rsz_2p1040669.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 14
  • rsz_41p1040120.jpg
    rsz_41p1040120.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 17
  • tp1040228.jpg
    tp1040228.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 13
  • tp1040111.jpg
    tp1040111.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 17
Last edited by a moderator:
I have made plenty of mistakes in my growing and have thrown away quite a few plants, but I enjoy learning.

I look forward to being a member of the forum

Welcome to Slippertalk! You are speaking for most of us here, and you have a good collection, and I'm looking forward to seeing your photos.

Hello Anthony! Congratulations on your chosen profession!! How far along in your studies are you? I have been a nurse for 20 years and can tell you it is a very rewarding calling! I have been a Cardiac RN for the last seven years.
Welcome to the forum!! You will find that the people here are great and you will learn alot! Your orchid list looks fabulous!! I wish I lived so close to an orchid nursery! Diane

:clap::clap:Glad you joined us! You certainly do have a mixed bag, that's great! I sure do like the 4th pic, what is it? :drool:

Welcome from California, Anthony! I grew up in Owatonna, MN but have lived in California for 25 years now.

Welcome Anthony; we are practically neigbors! (I work at Orchids Limited).

Robert

Welcome from Canada, Anthony! That was a really nice introduction. Thanks! You're lucky....I WISH that I lived about a mile away from Orchids Limited too!!!

I appreciate the kind welcomes from all! More pictures will be coming…probably to an excessive degree, come Spring and Summer ;)

Hello Anthony! Congratulations on your chosen profession!! How far along in your studies are you? I have been a nurse for 20 years and can tell you it is a very rewarding calling! I have been a Cardiac RN for the last seven years.
Welcome to the forum!! You will find that the people here are great and you will learn alot! Your orchid list looks fabulous!! I wish I lived so close to an orchid nursery! Diane

I’m in my final semester of school! I’m pretty darn excited about almost reaching my goal, though equally terrified :-/ Thanks for the kind words!

Welcome from central Minnesota!

Are you Ross? I think I was ogling your plants pretty intensely at the last OSM meeting >:-D Thanks for the kind hello!

:clap::clap:Glad you joined us! You certainly do have a mixed bag, that's great! I sure do like the 4th pic, what is it? :drool:

Thank you! that is one of my favorites ;) It’s Paph. primulinum x Mystic Isle ‘Hsinying’

Welcome from NYC! We'll see how long you can list your whole collection here! :evil:

HAHA! The only things keeping the list from growing is that I grow in my second bedroom in an apartment and that I’m still a student :-X

Welcome Anthony; we are practically neigbors! (I work at Orchids Limited).

Robert

Hello, Robert! Ya know, I’ve actually heard your name, before, haha! I promise it’s not as creepy as it sounds. I met a woman at a local garden center and in the midst of the conversation I mentioned living right by OL and she asked if I know you and said that she has known you for a long time :) I very definitely appreciate all the work you guys do there!

Welcome to the forum, Anthony! Thank God I live 20 min away from OL, otherwise I'd be there once a week buying something. I was just there a couple weeks ago to get some more slippers and pick up a Neo calendar. I think I'm turning into a paph freak and I partially blame Ross. :rollhappy: Happy holidays and see ya at the next OSM meeting!

I live 20 minutes from the nearest anything! I would be a daily visitor at OL if it was 20 min away, too! That place is so drool-worthy!!

:eek: If I lived 20 minutes from OL I woud jog there every day and volunteer my time there!
I meant 20 min DRIVING time on the freeway. Are you kiddin' me?? I'm so out of shape now I can't even jog to the mailbox. I do want to support my local hobby vendor, though. I was there a couple times during the summer to help Jedi Master remound neos.

Back