Heat tolerant Cymbidiums

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, Orchidglade or some vendor in Florida had a line that was supposed to be heat resistant but they got fried by the heat in SC so...

Well that is not very HT is it if the cant survive SC.
I find a lot of talk and discussion about HTC varieties but google does not turn up any nurseries offering more than one clone. Actually I'm not finding many cymbidium plant sellers at all.

Milton Carpenter was the guy working on that in Florida.

Based upon the "fried" comment, I suspect that the SC failure was due to the failure of the grower to provide shade. Those plants can tolerate heat fine, but when you throw in sunlight on the leaves...

Lance, I believe they're strictly wholesale, but several months ago I got a bunch of Carpenter's crosses from Hilo Orchid Farm.

Milton Carpenter was the guy working on that in Florida.

Based upon the "fried" comment, I suspect that the SC failure was due to the failure of the grower to provide shade. Those plants can tolerate heat fine, but when you throw in sunlight on the leaves...

Lance, I believe they're strictly wholesale, but several months ago I got a bunch of Carpenter's crosses from Hilo Orchid Farm.

Thanks Ray, I want a large quantity of plants so wholesale should be no issue.
I'll try Hilo Orchid Farm.

i heard about a dude out west who is doing them, but he's a freely admitted racist and i'm not crazy about steering folks his way

Lance, please try The Orchid Works. I know they are known for their oncidium plugs but they also put out a couple of other lists per week from other growers in their area. I've seen lots of cybidiums in both 2 and 4 inch pots and some may indeed be heat tolerant. I'm betting that they can help you.

Last edited:
I suggest Orchid Source as well. Get on their email list, some cool stuff. They have loads of plugs, some warmth tolerant, and if you give them a call ask to talk to Glen if he is available...
Fred

Back