hazelton, pa native orchids (2)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
lots of hybrids, and a few pics of a swallowtail pollinating the orchids (look closely for pollinia stuck to it's face or thorax)

hzhybrid1.JPG
hzhybrid2.JPG

hzhybrid3.JPG
hzhybrid4.JPG

hzhybrid5.JPG
hzhybrid6.JPG

hzhybrid7.JPG

hzother1.JPG
hzother3.JPG

if you look closely at the right above picture and the picture below, you will see pollinia stuck to the front of the butterfly

hzother4.JPG

Again, very nice. Always interesting to see the pollinator in action! I can see how it would be difficult to tell what is a hybrid and what isn't. Do you have any pics of 'pure' stands of either species? Is there the same variation there too?

i have some pics of ciliaris from long island from a few years ago somewhere that are most likely species, and some pics from upstate ny fens taken this year (but haven't gotten posted yet - quite a backlog to still upload) that are species. i'll have some of them uploaded soon. usually there is no flared fringing on the northern white fringed (cups downwards with very short fringes) and ciliaris lips are usually much wider with much longer fringing. usually if a plant is not overly mature, you can have less lip development

(i just realized i listed the plants that are platanthera ciliaris as cristata.... have to go and edit the names (sigh))

Latest posts

Back