• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Hangianum on eBay

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is all tempting, but I would be afraid of confiscation and having the guys in black suits show up at my doorstep. A friend of mine did a probably illegal importation and got away with it, but the plants were sent bare root and not in the best of condition. Different vendor, though.

I was looking at CG's store and came across this beauty :drool:

http://cgi.ebay.com/CG-Paphiopedilu...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5885c81901

Susan

It's still an big problem then? I just ordered a flask of hangianums but it's legal to own them here.

I can't see why you guys can't get flasks legally.

i don,t know why we give this guy any time of the day.
this is exactly what we orchid people are trying to protect. orchids from the wild.it all sounds fishy to me
I agree! The prices are unbelievably low for the group! Am suspicious when stated location says California, fine print says China.
Our money can be much better spent supporting our own vendors and not run the risk of wild collected plants!

It is all tempting, but I would be afraid of confiscation and having the guys in black suits show up at my doorstep. A friend of mine did a probably illegal importation and got away with it, but the plants were sent bare root and not in the best of condition. Different vendor, though.

I was looking at CG's store and came across this beauty :drool:

http://cgi.ebay.com/CG-Paphiopedilu...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5885c81901

Susan

Wow! Now I know how he can make some money. If he can sell that plant and others like it, at more than 8,000 $ a pop, he's got it made, with probably enough cash to build a lab and get a honest business going eventually. :arrr:

It's still an big problem then? I just ordered a flask of hangianums but it's legal to own them here.

I can't see why you guys can't get flasks legally.

I'm not sure exactly what the deal is with hangianums in the States. Apparantly they just aren't legal (even flasks I think). Here in Canada they are, with proper documentation. That doesn't make it much easier though; our vendors have a difficult time importing them because the paperwork costs so much (and exporters want to sell in large quantities). That goes for the majority of Paph species (especially the Vietnamese ones), not just hangianum. Seedlings have just started to appear in the past couple years, and they still aren't widespread.

I saw the paperwork for the ones sold at the WOC here, I dont know if it was authentic but at least the buyer got paperwork. I think even the inspectors at WOC weren't sure what to do.
One problem is that if we are losing the land and no one collects the plants we lose both ways! :(
I'm getting those tigrinum albums next time I have a few extra $10,000 bills laying around! :p

My understanding is that CITES paperwork is required even for countries in which they are legal. He's listing a US address when he is in China and knowingly selling Paphs that need paperwork with out it. I won't trust him, would you?

And all the paperwork in the world didn't do much to save Phrag. kovachii in its habitat. Make something hard to get and the desire of many to get it will only send the prices up, which will drive people in poor countries to fill the demand, thus earning more money than they could get in a year's wages. CITES doesn't work and never will because it goes against human nature. There must be a better way than run away bureaucracy to keep those rare plants from disappearing from their habitat forever.

And all the paperwork in the world didn't do much to save Phrag. kovachii in its habitat. Make something hard to get and the desire of many to get it will only send the prices up, which will drive people in poor countries to fill the demand, thus earning more money than they could get in a year's wages. CITES doesn't work and never will because it goes against human nature. There must be a better way than run away bureaucracy to keep those rare plants from disappearing from their habitat forever.

That's exactly how I feel about it. Well said.

Now!now!
don't we all get excited like a bunch of catholic school girls poring over the picture of Meister Hugh Jackman .
Chinese Green established his lab & flasks for a while , so if there is any surplus of flasks that weren't ordered in the past, wouldn't it be the next logical thing for him to deflask & raise the babies plants up and sell them now as more mature plants? Don't assume that he is selling you jungle plants, that is not nice of us , we may ruin someone's business by making assumption . Would we like it when somebody else trashing us
By the way , when was that ? that I missed the chance to buy one of those RED hangianum down in Florida by Odom's Orchids. That's right, red hangianum , and you guys are so not nice let me out of the great deal of a RED HANG !!!!
Just kidding, by the way if you are wonder who Hugh Jackman is, here is the link
http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=hugh jackman&oq=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi
notice, his first initial shares some similarity with hangianum, huonglanae, helenae etc. etc.
his second initial sounds like Jackies
Didn't you guy miss my posts at all? allways sounds like controversially opinionated silly answers , aren't they?

all I can say about CITES is that, They are someone sit at the office and gather fail information then make decision. In the best case, they would ask the rangers and these rangers has never been in the wild. The fact is that all the years i live in VN, I didn't even know what is CITES, so many the wild plant collectors.... I just wonder where they are getting their information to make decision !!!!
BD

The auction said they had been shipped from China. One is welcome to assume since that since the plants and business location are in the states that the plants came in legally with papers. There are several ways of looking at this. One is an idealistic view hoping that by a few people on a small insular orchid-related forum refusing to buy these plants that they will miraculously return to the wild and flourish there. Another idealistic way of looking at it is "I've got to save these plants because they will soon be gone in the wild." There can be cachet and morality on both sides. Some are just assuming the plants are wild-collected. These species have been around for almost 30 years. It is entirely possible and indeed even likely these are seed grown plants. Despite the tiresome, meddlesome fascist behaviour of the relevant US agencies, these would then be entirely legal plants. I opted to buy a set of them and will report back if and when they arrive here in the Western provinces as to condition and whether any estimate of plants origins can be made. An experiment, if you will.

Someone noted on another forum that CG now has a rare Paph malpoensis for $9,800.00 on ebay. Ebay listing says he will ship to certain states in USA and to certain countries. Can't imagine paying that for a plant!!
Veblen- keep us posted on your purchase!The collection looks sweet!

Despite the tiresome, meddlesome fascist behaviour of the relevant US agencies, these would then be entirely legal plants. I opted to buy a set of them and will report back if and when they arrive here in the Western provinces as to condition and whether any estimate of plants origins can be made. An experiment, if you will.
:rollhappy:
Them's purty strong fightin' word fer a Canadian!:poke:
Why did you people make me go to his ebay site, now I won't be able to sleep thinking about the tranlieanum alb!

It seems that I am not that good with keeping plants alive lately, but I will be able to keep a 9,800 dollar used car survives a few years better than my current old car .
So you guys can have the plant .:poke:

Back