Habenaria medusa

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyushuCalanthe

Just call me Tom
Reaction score
Kyushu, Japan; warm temperate/subtropical climate
Here is a cool species from much of SE Asia into the islands of Indonesia. As with other tropical Habenaria species from this area, it requires a dry dormant period in winter. It is closely related to H. myriotricha, in fact they may eventually be considered the same species.

HabenariaMedusaWHPLT.jpg

HabenariaMedusaSPK.jpg

HabenariaMedusaFLCLUP.jpg

I know of no other Habenaria that has such a finely fimbriated lip as this one. What a beauty!

Beautiful specie and it looks very happy! What potting medium do you use for it?

Great photo and plant!!!!! I am into Habenarias these days! I am thinking of purchasing some H. rhodocheila (pink and orange) and some H. myriotriha!!! :D

This is a stunning species indeed. Glad you all enjoyed it.

I grow it in a perfectly draining medium rich in organics - coarse leaf mould and composed orchid bark and sand and perlite for the inorganic part. About a 50:50 ratio, organic to inorganic.

It should be grown in bright shade with lots of humidity, warmth, and high humidity. After flowering it goes dormant and then should be kept dry (not bone dry though) until May when the new growth appears. I repot yearly to see how the tubers did and look of disease problems, but every other year is fine too.

I don't think this one has made it into the trade in the states yet, but Paul Christian has been offering bulbs in England and they are CITES certified, so some might leak over your way eventually!

They were available a year or so ago from Hoosier and Oak Hill. There were several at the MAOC in Mason, Ohio, a few weeks ago. I don't know if Oak Hill has any right now.

Wow! That's an amazing species! Habenarias are cool. Fraser's Thimble Farms has Habenaria radiata. I might try one.

WOW!! Those are some awsome pictures of an awsome plant. We are suppose to have Habenarias around here, but I have not seen any yet.

Where are you? Some Habenarias have been moved to Platanthera, so maybe you do have them.

Kevin, I live in South Louisiana.
A member of the society has one she took from the side of the road. (shame on her not very good practice).
I have yet to see it. It supposedly has green flowers.

Kevin, I live in South Louisiana.
A member of the society has one she took from the side of the road. (shame on her not very good practice).
I have yet to see it. It supposedly has green flowers.

Yes, shame on her. There are quite a few Platanthera and Habenaria species in your area. Only a few have green flowers, though. Post a pic if you can.

Kevin,
I'll see what I can do about getting a picture of the plant and flower.
Our los meeting is wed.

Latest posts

Back