Greetings from the UK :)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garysan

It's a learning curve...
Reaction score
Very new to this as I had a Phal offloaded to me by the wife who didn't appreciate me criticising her use of standard potting compost as a potting media....

A couple of weeks later and I've got a bag of fir bark chippings, some proper orchid pots, a big book, some bottles of Orchid Focus and nothing but time for the little fellas.

I happened upon on Orchid show/fair in London last weekend where I bought a Phragmipedium (Calurum?) - perhaps someone on here can steer me in the full/correct proper name for this one as I neglected to ask the Dutch seller and there wasn't a tag in the pot:

phragmipedium_01.jpg

phragmipedium_02.jpg

The seller told me to keep it in a saucer/dish of 1-2cm of water as opposed to the usual, not letting orchids stand in water (which is how the Phal. I have has always been kept/watered. In reality I think I'll leave it's feet wet for 5-6 days a week and then 'sit it dry' for the last 36-48 hrs before watering again. Does that sound prudent?

Edit: That sphagnum on the top of the pot is mostly decorative, there is some mixed in with the bark chips but only a little.

Many thanks, Gary.

Hi and welcome to this great forum. The phrag you have --and it looks a lot like calurum-- should be named Ainsworthii which was register before the name calurum in the late 1800's . It's a cross between Sedeni and longifolium.
Don't be afraid to give it plenty of water --- they love it. They also like air so make sure you have plenty of good drainage.

Ed

If you bought this from Wubben Orchids it is definitely Ainsworthii |( calurum )
sedeni x longifolium'roezli'.

Ed

Could well have been Wubben (slightly older guy on his own at the show). The only other dutch seller I saw were two slightly younger guys 30's-40's. I didn't get the actual sellers name either I'm afraid.... :-/

If you were at the show/fair on the 22nd the Dutch guy I bought this from WASN'T the one directly opposite Ray Creek.

Hope that helps... ;)

EDIT: Many thanks to everyone thus far who has assisted in trying to nail down exactly what I've got here ;)

Could well have been Wubben (slightly older guy on his own at the show). The only other dutch seller I saw were two slightly younger guys 30's-40's. I didn't get the actual sellers name either I'm afraid.... :-/

If you were at the show/fair on the 22nd the Dutch guy I bought this from WASN'T the one directly opposite Ray Creek.

Hope that helps... ;)

EDIT: Many thanks to everyone thus far who has assisted in trying to nail down exactly what I've got here ;)

Hi Gary. Definitley Ainsworthii. This is also one I bought from Wubben last year---- yours IS this one.

Ed

Attachments

• DSC00606.JPG
    DSC00606.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 19
Welcome from Canada. I think I'd lead towards Ainsworthii, too. You may never know for sure. Unfortunately, the Dutch growers are not keen on keeping accurate records when it comes to the names. Many Dutch commercial nurseries give their plants their own, unregistered, commercial name and they completely drop the official registered name.....VERY frustrating!

Hi Gary. Definitley Ainsworthii. This is also one I bought from Wubben last year---- yours IS this one.

Ed

I'm inclined to agree :) Looked at many online and compared to your image - definitely the one :)

Did I see you at Josephine College on Sunday? There was a guy there who looked quite like your avatar. I should have said "Hello!" ;)

Unfortunately, she dropped both her blooms the other week - either upset with me repotting or stressed by travel and change of position. Either/or, new bloom just about finished opening with another in waiting. Will do a better-than-iPhone image once she's fully opened. The new one seems a more deeper shade too which is nice. Must like the rainwater :)

Latest posts

Back