Grand Champion of Show Paph. malipoense

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:rollhappy::rollhappy::rollhappy:

There are also incompetent judges. But it may be also an arrangement beetween friends...it's shameful and completely discredits the quality of all judgments

Look at this very original rothschildianum::poke::D

014.JPG

Reminds me of the St Swithin that was awarded here in Australia as a rothschildianum 'Burleigh Waters'. People still try and sell that as an awarded roths. For those in Australia, don't touch it. How the hell can an orchid judge not recognise a rothschildianum.

That Norito Hasegawa is pretty obviously not a maliopoense. You wonder what criteria the judges were basing there decision on. They obviously have no idea what a maliopoense even looks like. So it must be difficult to come up with an informed decision.

David

i dont see what all the hoopla is about. anybody can say anything, or not say anything they want. everybody knows its not a malipoense.

i dont see what all the hoopla is about. anybody can say anything, or not say anything they want. everybody knows its not a malipoense.

Well, apparently the judges (poeple who definitely SHOULD know better), didn't know it wasn't a malipoense. God only knows how that happened! This award is a huge stain on the credibility and relevance of the whole judging system. A few more awards like this and nobody will give a hoot about having anything judged. What would be the point if the judges are so incompetant or prone to "favouring" thier friends with bogus awards? To lose the judging system would be a shame; but, if it does not produce quality, defendible decisions, that's what will happen. It's relevance will drop and drop until it's just too laughable for anyone to respect at all.

My hoopla is that some unsuspecting newbie might one day pay a king's ransom for a division of this "malipoense" and that's just dishonest. Plus, if this NH is used in breeding as a malipoense....and especially if it is crossed with a true malipoense, the offspring will obviously have foreign gene contamination; but, being 3/4 malipoense, they will look even more like a malipoense and many of them will likely end up in collections of people who are not experienced enough to realize that they've got a hybrid on their hands.

Mislabelling a hybrid with the name of another hybrid is one thing; but, in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't really matter. Hybrids are man-made and they come and go based on the whims of fashion. However, true species are the foundation of breeding. They are part of our natural history, they have endured for thousands of years. Mislabelling a hybrid as a species harms conservation and preservation efforts and it compromises the available gene pool of breeders. It's a despicable, selfish act when a grower chooses to knowingly perpetuate the incorrect identity of a hybrid plant that has been misidentified as a species.

Why can't awards be nullified? They are here, rarely, if new info. comes up about the plant. I think awards can and should be nullified if need be.

I'm not sure how the Aussies handle such problems, but the AOS does have a review process where a plant that is disputed can be corrected. All it takes is a judge willing to notice the problem. I wouldn't see this as some nefarious plot, but instead as a mistake by some people that didn't know what they were looking at and an exhibitor that didn't know what he was presenting.

1.it's a broblem of judes to identified plant
2.now like a concorlor the most round or perfected shaped the more question
3.however the judgement are final words
4.if confused go to 1.
hu hu

Latest posts

Back