Grand Champion of Show Paph. malipoense

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a gorgeous flower; but, it's not pure malipoense. It looks like a very good N.H. Does anybody have good photos of the foliage? That will tell a story as well.

I had a quiet word with a senior SA Judge 2 weeks ago and he said he knew of some debate about the plant but I think they are covering their tracks. No-one wants to admit they are wrong in accepting the name.

no doubt about it

100% Paph. Norito Hasagawa no doubt in my mind it's anything else !!!
never the less a well deserving awardable Paph. hybrid with fore said name
but never never ever a Paph. malipoense no matter what the judges say .
happy orchid growing from Northern Thailand
cliokchi:confused:

I've posted a pic of the plant in the Royal Adelaide Show thread... I've personally let the owner know of the ID but he insists it is malipoense... As not to discredit the breeder who he obtained the plant from... :p

that is unfortunate someone is unwilling to take your suggestion. (if this plant is used in breeding then we will have lots of mislabelled plants...)

But this is a gorgeous bloom and I agree with the above.

As not to discredit the breeder who he obtained the plant from... :p

Well the breeder and exhibitor are doing a much worse thing by not coming clean. I'd buy from a grower that admits a mistake over one that hides theirs any day!

Well the breeder and exhibitor are doing a much worse thing by not coming clean. I'd buy from a grower that admits a mistake over one that hides theirs any day!

AGREED! Faced with the obvious truth; but, insisting on ignoring it, the grower and breeder are a couple of nitwits that should be blacklisted. They are doing the entire orchid hobby in Australia a huge disservice by acting like a couple of spineless wimps who can't simply admit a mistake. Idiots!:mad:

AGREED! Faced with the obvious truth; but, insisting on ignoring it, the grower and breeder are a couple of nitwits that should be blacklisted. They are doing the entire orchid hobby in Australia a huge disservice by acting like a couple of spineless wimps who can't simply admit a mistake. Idiots!:mad:

The facts are simply.
1) Mistaken identity
2) Lovely bloom.
Anything beyond that is hearsay, conjecture and gossip.

I don’t know who the breeder was but the exhibiters are certainly not nitwits,spineless wimps or idiots. They are in fact well respected, tireless workers within the South Australian orchid community.

Let's not throw insults until you know all the facts. I would like to know, though, the reasoning for not admiting a mistake like this.

Okay. So, my words are a bit strong; but, I'm not going to edit my post because then the posts that follow will not have the correct context. However, it does seem that at least the grower and the judges have their stubborn heads in the sand. In my book, when it comes to willfully messing with and contaminating the genepool of species by deliberately mislabelling a select hybrid plant as a species, or by refusing to correct an obvious mistake, that is unconscionable and tantamount to giving a one finger salute to present-day and future generations of orchid growers. ....And why would they do this? Well, for one thing, they get to keep the award status of the plant in-tact and that is a selfish reason to allow a hybrid to continue to masquerade as a superior form of a species.

I've posted a pic of the plant in the Royal Adelaide Show thread... I've personally let the owner know of the ID but he insists it is malipoense... As not to discredit the breeder who he obtained the plant from... :p
I took what Paphioboy said to mean that the growers have consulted with the breeder about this plant. Now I see that perhaps Paphioboy did not mean that; but rather, perhaps he was simply offering his own conjecture as to why the grower would insist the identity is malipoense, even in the face of obvious evidence to the contrary. So, my mistake there....sorry. Nevertheless; the grower's opinion does not hold water......and to continue to insist this flower is pure malipoense will inspire more than just me to roll their eyes and refer to the grower - who chooses to perpetuate the incorrect identification, with less than complimentary vocabulary.

I agree, but it's best to find out all the facts first. I'm hoping there is a good explanation for this. There is obviously a problem with the breeder and/or seller in letting this plant get out with an incorrect name, and not correcting it, but I think worse is that it is now in the record books as having won a HCC (what judging organization was this? HCC/what?) To be truly respected as a breeder/seller/judge, this type of thing shouldn't be let to slide. Just my thoughts.

I took what Paphioboy said to mean that the growers have consulted with the breeder about this plant. Now I see that perhaps Paphioboy did not mean that; but rather, perhaps he was simply offering his own conjecture as to why the grower would insist the identity is malipoense, even in the face of obvious evidence to the contrary.

To clarify, John, it was not conjecture on my part. The owner/exhibitor of the plant himself told me that he accepted the plant ID being malipoense as that was what he bought it as and he didn't want to discredit the breeder (I do not know who the breeder is and if the owner had consulted with the breeder)...

Thank you Paphipboy. So, it seems that while the plant may have left the breeder's greenhouse bearing the wrong name, there is no evidence of the breeder deliberately mislabelling it. The plant simply got the wrong tag in the pot; as unfortunately, often does happen.

However, the growers; who are "well respected and a tireless workers" (and therefore, must have been around in the orchid world for some time and have gained a fair amount of experience along the way), are choosing to maintain the status of an obvious and undeniable mislabelling. In doing so, they benefit by getting to keep the award and Grand Champion status given to this plant.....as a malipoense. Plus, since the breeder was not disclosed to you (Paphioboy), how can the growers say that they are protecting the breeder from being discredited? If people don't know who the breeder is, why go to such lengths to protect the breeder's reputation? Besides, that logic is flawed. Maintaining an incorrect name on a plant will continuously have the potential of discrediting the breeder. To correct the mistake now, maintains the breeders reputation, should his identity become known. After all, it is an incredibly high quality NH. If the breeder is ethical, I should think that he would A) appreciate learning of the correct identity of his cross and B) probably enjoy extra business because of the high profile of this awesome NH. A breeder that wishes to perpetuate misinformation rather than simply correct it, is a breeder that is deserving of being discredited. By refusing to consult with the breeder and correct the mistake, the grower is causing discredit, not preventing it.

It seems to all come down to the grower's desire to simply continue to enjoy the spoils of this unfortunate misidentification and it has nothing to do with the breeder at all. The growers are either embarrassed and stubbornly unable to simply admit that they made a mistake in exhibiting this plant as pure malipoense; or, they want to profit (financially or otherwise), from the current award status of the plant as a malipoense. Either way, they are not so deserving of being "well respected". If that plant is used in breeding as a pure malipoense, Australians can look forward to a contaminated genepool in the years to come. I don't respect anyone who would deliberately do that.

The other issue would be the judges, right? Should they not have been able to tell that the plant in front of them was not correctly labelled? And, when searching for other malipoenses in the data base to compare to this one, did they not see that it doesn't look anything like the others? I don't know - maybe a judge could step in here to shed some light on this?

I'm an AOC Judge and when I first saw the pic psted I agreed fully than it wasn't malipoense. The subject has been raised with judging circles here.
The owners seem to be a protected species for some reason or the panel who judged it are being protected, not sure which.

Latest posts

Back