Gnats!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O

Orchidnut57

okay...another tired old question but being new at this I am just wondering if the small amount of gnats that I see on occasion are something to be concerned with . Remember I have an indoor florescent set-up with humidity trays? My only Phrag is in a damp moss mix. The balance of my plants are in a bark mix and let us not forget the fans and air purifier.
Thanks in advance
DAH?

The gnat larvae will eat your plants. I like to kill the flying ones by hand but I have exceptional eye-hand coordination. Use safers spray or Sevin to kill on contact. If you are anti-chemical use neem or predatory insect control.

Hey, another Memphian on ST, didn't notice you yet, welcome. Probably fungus gnats, in my observation they pose little harm to most plants. They will cause your media to break down quicker, and they will eat some plant tissue. I do blame their larvae for completely moving down one of my pots of a very tine Utricularia (U. parthenopipes), they left nothing but what looked like tiny grass clippings and the inflorescences.

Forrest

I view fungus gnats as the "canary in the coal mine". Their presence indicates the growth of mold in the medium, which suggests it is decomposing well enough that it is time to repot.

The larvae feed on the fungus, and once the population has grown sufficiently to knock it substantially back, they go to work on the other easy-to-digest organic matter in the pot - roots.

Forrest
I had no idea that was you.
I will be sure to speak with you at our next meeting
Thanks a lot
Jim

Thanks
Very good metaphor
I have one specimen sized Degarmoara which is in New Zealand moss and bark mix that needs repotting . But avoiding it due to the chore involved. I will address this at once
ST are the 'best'!
Jim

I view fungus gnats as the "canary in the coal mine". Their presence indicates the growth of mold in the medium, which suggests it is decomposing well enough that it is time to repot.

The larvae feed on the fungus, and once the population has grown sufficiently to knock it substantially back, they go to work on the other easy-to-digest organic matter in the pot - roots.

I agree with Ray.

There is a Bt product that is specifically for fungus gnats. Using it weekly for a few weeks generally gets rid of them. I find that fungus gnats go wild over any algae on the medium...which is typical on sphagnum. my worst fungus gnats ever came when I used rock wool as a medium...with no organic material at all.

There is a Bt product that is specifically for fungus gnats. Using it weekly for a few weeks generally gets rid of them. I find that fungus gnats go wild over any algae on the medium...which is typical on sphagnum. my worst fungus gnats ever came when I used rock wool as a medium...with no organic material at all.

Thanks Eric
And where does one find this product? I believe I have found the cuprit ...and I plan to repot it tomorrow with clean pot and fresh mix.
Can this Bt product be found at local vendors like Lowe's or specialty vendors such as Charlie's GHs.
Thanks so very much...mind you this is the first out break of critters I have had since I moved my 'operation' indoors. Never had them when they were in a cooler less controlled enviroment outside in a carport storage rm. Go figure

Found sticky traps were effective for the flyers.
I cut them in quarters, peel one side, and lay them on the medium.
Found them useless combine w/ the clip/stick.
I start winning after the first one gets stuck.

Clark
Great idea...I will hang a few strips
Unless it gets worst then I will go with what Eric from Queens
recommended ..Bt
Thanks

I don't hang these, I lay them flat.
It didn't work for me in a vertical position.
Good luck!

Grow a butterwort (Pinguicula)! :) They just love fungus gnats...

this is very true, Pings won't eliminate fungus gnats, especially the larvae, but they sure gobble up the adults.
Jim - you're in luck, I have many new established ping divisions, I'll try to remember to bring you one this weekend at the meeting.

this is very true, Pings won't eliminate fungus gnats, especially the larvae, but they sure gobble up the adults.
Jim - you're in luck, I have many new established ping divisions, I'll try to remember to bring you one this weekend at the meeting.

Thanks
I have done some research on our guest speaker...coool!

Latest posts

Back