Gday from Queensland

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to the forum, from WA.
It is hard to control the urge, once bitten by the bug. I can understand that.

David, things are significantly better here! The NZ market is tiny, so there aren't any growers importing and selling good crosses anymore, not since Papa Aroha closed down and shipped most of their stock to Canada. It is possible to get flasks via someone like Murray Shergold, but importing into NZ is a game of roulette (dealing with ignorant officials).

The closure of P&R Orchids a few years ago was a big blow for us Paph growers. And John Robertson doesn't seem to sell many Paphs anymore. There aren't a lot of options now.

David

In what way, David? What sort of thing do you want to have available that isn't being supplied at the moment?

There are still people importing flasks from Taiwan and so introducing new crosses and genetic material. Alternatively you can get things from the US albeit at a price. I'm curious because if there is a gap in the market I would like to know.

Is John Robertson scaling back?

In what way, David? What sort of thing do you want to have available that isn't being supplied at the moment?

There are still people importing flasks from Taiwan and so introducing new crosses and genetic material. Alternatively you can get things from the US albeit at a price. I'm curious because if there is a gap in the market I would like to know.

Is John Robertson scaling back?

He did there for a while. He maybe getting back into it now. Not sure about the Paphs though. There is not a lot of money to be made in selling those.

Sanderianum for a starter. In the US you can pick up a flowering size plant for $300 maybe. Even less. I've never seen plants here for sale other than tiny seedlings. I'd hate to see what a flowering size sanderianum would cost here. Thousands I'd say.

Sure you can get most things through flasks. But I prefer to be able to buy larger plants especially the multi's. Flasks are pretty much the only option at the moment. I don't have the time or the space to be growing out large numbers of flasks.

I want flowering size anitum hybrids (especially with roths). Flowering size roth - parvi hybrids. I've picked up a couple recently at very high prices but still searching for Gloria Naugle.

I'd love to get some large NFS/FS roths of the latest breeding. I saw Slippertalk members in the US were able to buy 4 very large NFS roths from Sam Tsui of the best breeding for very little money. Less than we would pay for one roth of crappy breeding. I'd pay anything for a large Mont Millais x Rex roth and that is old breeding.

I could go on forever. :)

David

Back