gardineri

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With all this great info ....
should we have a seperate Preparing Your Show Plants thread?
Rose....
Seems like I saw an article in Orchids within the last year on growing/showing specimen plants.
it's not ringing a bell but I do hold on to them, I'll look back. Thanks!

Rose, one last thing. Please cut the top of stake that is over the top of the flower. Also do not tie the pedicel/ovary to the stake. It is an automatic disqualification. Over here AOC is pretty strict on this matter, ....
:rollhappy: actually I didn't like taking the pic with it (nor all the clips) but I'm almost out of long stakes & was hoping once it's trained I could go to short ones that don't detract from the flowers. Clipping the ovary to the stake is the only way I can get the flower to turn, I'm hoping after a month it will stay put!:p

Even better if the spikes and flower orientation are nice without stakes.

After they've been "trained", then see if they stand up good without the stakes, and use them only for transport.

Otherwise as Howard says make them as inoccuous and un-noticable as possible.

update

:sob::sob: well judging & club is this weekend - 3 flowers have faded ...
so the next best thing - pollinate!
Went for something different ...
have this China Moon (armen. x Greyi), haven't killed it in 2 years & bloomed both years! Puts out a new growth each year, nice compact as is the gardineri ... time will tell!

Wondering if the pollinated flowers were too far along, they wilted rather quickly ....
time will tell before too long!

Back