Fuukiran; some odd flowered forms

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyushuCalanthe

Just call me Tom
Reaction score
Kyushu, Japan; warm temperate/subtropical climate
Fuukiran season is all but done here in southern Japan. Here are a few of the odd flowered varieties.

The double spurred, double lipped 'soubiryu':

SoubiryuFront.jpg

The famous 'seikai'; perhaps the most unusual fuukiran of all:

SeikaiFLS.jpg

Finally, 'shunkyuuden':

Shunkyuuden08.jpg

This season has been a bit odd - the plants started to flower a bit late and have remained in bloom later than usual as well. The only plants that have yet to bloom are the southern forms from the islands of Kagoshima Prefecture, commonly called the Amami Island forms. They should be doing their thing by week's end.

Tom

Thanks for sharing pics of these rare forms. The double lip one is very interesting!

The 'Soubiryu' is great! Love all the spur action. Is it more fragrant than single spurred varieties?

Does anyone know how available this one is in the US? Is this more common in Japan and hence prohibitively expensive here or...reasonable?

I also would love to hear some talk about "reasonable" ruby tipped root varieties. I mean, what's the cheapest they run in the US?

Glad you enjoyed them. There is a wide range of strange or unusual flower types including ones with three spurs, strangely bent spurs, flowers with many parts, and so on. In the US you only have two big vendors, Orchids Limited and New World Orchids. These are the only guys importing them in any number (that I've heard of).

To answer your questions Heather:

The 'Soubiryu' is great! Love all the spur action. Is it more fragrant than single spurred varieties?

No difference that can tell.

Does anyone know how available this one is in the US? Is this more common in Japan and hence prohibitively expensive here or...reasonable?

Ask Jason or Glen, they may have some or something similar. On this end it wasn't too expensive as far as fuukiran go - maybe around $50US, but expect to pay half again as much or more.

I also would love to hear some talk about "reasonable" ruby tipped root varieties. I mean, what's the cheapest they run in the US?

Shutennou has ruby red growing tips and it should be reasonably priced.

I decided to be careful and since I gave it a decent watering yesterday I only let a few drops of water hit and run off the moss. BTW I got the plant at Parkside from Jason Fischer to give to a friend's Grandmother.:p

Latest posts

Back