Oddball Fuukiran Flowers

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyushuCalanthe

Just call me Tom
Reaction score
Kyushu, Japan; warm temperate/subtropical climate
More fuukiran open now, this time some weirdo flowers.

Unkai, very similar flower to Seikai, but a totally different plant.

UnkaiB.jpg

Tenshin, normal flower except for the spur which is reminiscent of Pinocchio!

Tenshin.jpg

Shunkyuuden - this one breaks all the rules - odd beyond odd.

Shunkyuuden.jpg

Ahhh, my other favorite (besides Seikai and Manjyushage) is shown here, Unkai! :drool: Sweet!

I always appreciate how so very extra fragrant the flowers of Shunkyuuden are.

All nice flowers and excellent photography too! :clap:

Shunkyuuden is jumping the gun! can't wait to open those beautiful flowers! odd, freaky, and cool! :clap:

Your plant looks nice and healthy! Shunkyuuden is a good grower and bloomer. :)

Tenshu, on the other hand... :( ...at least for me. I really struggle to keep it going.

that is so freaky! is it a spike fused to a flower or a flower fused to a spike!:crazy:

Interesting flowers. Would that be considered to be a mutation?

A mutation just has to be a genetic change... any genetic change that happens spontaneously. There almost certainly has to be a genetic cause for this if it is consistent, so it is likely a mutation. So are all the other odd flower and plant forms in Neos. But all genes originate as mutations, and every living thing has new mutations. That's life.

A mutation just has to be a genetic change... any genetic change that happens spontaneously. There almost certainly has to be a genetic cause for this if it is consistent, so it is likely a mutation. So are all the other odd flower and plant forms in Neos. But all genes originate as mutations, and every living thing has new mutations. That's life.

Yes, this variety is a mutation and it is consistent, although each flower is not identical to all the others. Shunkyuden is a well-established and well-known registered variety which is propagated by division. The flowers continue to grow over a period of several days and are often more fragrant than standard Neo flowers. :)

Your plant looks nice and healthy! Shunkyuuden is a good grower and bloomer. :)

Tenshu, on the other hand... :( ...at least for me. I really struggle to keep it going.

Tenshin has been a great grower for me and has been pretty generous with flowering too. One thing, the spur doesn't fully extend in about 1/4 of the flowers.

Interesting flowers. Would that be considered to be a mutation?

Yeah, but it is a mule as well, so no spreading the progeny on this baby.

Yes, this variety is a mutation and it is consistent, although each flower is not identical to all the others. Shunkyuden is a well-established and well-known registered variety which is propagated by division. The flowers continue to grow over a period of several days and are often more fragrant than standard Neo flowers. :)

Same with Seikai - production by division only. Amazing that they are relatively cheap.

Maybe it has more fragrance 'cause the flowers are much larger than most neos? I've noticed that the different varieties have distinct smells - each one is just a little different which adds to the fun!

Latest posts

Back