Some neo flowers

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myxodex

Reaction score
Nearly all my neo's that are mature enough to bloom have bloomed this year... the exceptions being Senzai and Ryokuhou.
Here are some of my favourites, all of which I've posted here before.
Kokakouden
kokakoudenflopds2.jpg

A group photo showing a comparison of the larger flowers of Kokkoden (left) and Seikai (right) with the smaller flowers of Benisuzume (center).
kobesedwa.jpg

My Seikai set a new record in my neo patch with 12 flowers on one spike (my Shikoden and Kohou both do 10 flowers on a spike regularly).
I never really noticed before that the early spike is red on my Seikai, not to mention stocky like a miniature baobab tree.
seikaibudspds1crop.jpg

seikaiflo2pwa2.jpg

Kokkoden is one of my more graceful neos both in and out of flower.
kokkodenwholeplant.jpg

kokkodendwa.jpg

... and finally, another amami type, the crazy one, Manjushage which has produced better flowers this year and I think has promise.
manjuflopds9.jpg

Superb! :clap: The Seikai and the Manjyushage are especially stunning, but all are very, very nice!

Your Neos are so beautiful and well grown.
The Seikai is on my wish list along with Manjushage.
Thanks for sharing :clap:

Beautiful neos!!!
Not something I have tried to grow. Do you always pot them with a mound of sphag?
Is there a special moth or insect that pollenizes them , sort of like the moth that pollenizes the angrecum?

Great collection! Your manjushage is fantastic! I just got one this spring and I hope it is a real thing.

Thanks for all the compliments.

Do you always pot them with a mound of sphag?

Yes I do, but there are a number other ways to grow them such as mounted on bark or in S/H. I just find this method appeals, gives me more control and besides I dabble in a bit of pottery and make my own pots for them (the Kokkoden is in one) ... so two hobbies complimenting each other.

Your manjushage is fantastic! I just got one this spring and I hope it is a real thing.

Is it a seedling? Just wondering why you doubt it being the real thing. I suspect that mine is ... it is certainly one of my faster growing neos. I do wonder if anyone has heard of a Manjushage seedling that didn't have three spurs (if the three-spurred phenotype is homozygous recessive then all seedlings will be three spurred). There is also the issue of other features in seedlings which might not be inherited. It is curious that the seedlings from Seikai are called Himeseikai not Seikai ?

Cheers,
Tim

Tim, I don't know if mine is a seedling or division but I did buy it from a reputable grower and I suspect it is a division(if not, I paid way too much for it!). It hasn't bloomed yet, so I can't be sure if it is real. Like many of the named varieties, the seedlings from selfing will not turn out right. Most of them, if not all, will not have three spurs.

Back