Fungus Leucocoprinus birnbaumii in my plants

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paphiopere

Reaction score
Hello, everyone. I would like to know if the same thing happens to any of you. I find many times (especially in very healthy plants) these little spots in the substrate. Looking for information on the web, I have come to identify these little spots as the fungus like leucocoprinus birnbaumii. My question is: in what way can this fungus benefit the plants that host it? Always, always, this occurs in the strongest and healthiest plants. Has it ever happened to you.
Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_5235 (1).JPG
    IMG_5235 (1).JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_5234 (1).JPG
    IMG_5234 (1).JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_5234.jpg
    IMG_5234.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 68
I have had it before, discovered it in clear pots or when repotting…I never have thought it caused a problem. Could probably use Physan to treat if you wanted to.
I see it frequently in bark. I had inquired about it some time ago and someone suggested it was part of a slime mold's life cycle. It does seem to match photos on the internet, but I really don't know. It doesn't seem to hurt the plants. Mike

There are a number of fungi that affect orchid substrates. I’m assuming you have seen fruiting, which is why you’re able to identify this as Leucocoprinus? My opinion is that none of the macrofungi that inhabit orchid substrates are destructive to the plants per se; they may even provide additional nutrient exchange and/or pathogen protection. The downside is they are likely to help the mix break down faster than it otherwise would.,.but not so fast as yo be worth using fungicide or repotting vastly ahead of schedule. You are unlikely to be able to rid your grow of it anyway, as mycelia and spores present on the roots will simply recolonize.

If you look up the species, you’ll see it is a standard “parasol”-type mushroom, not a white mold.

That said, I tend to view such growth as “the canary in the coal mine” indicator of the need to repot, although I suspect my regular use of probiotics suppresses such issues.

If you look up the species, you’ll see it is a standard “parasol”-type mushroom, not a white mold.

That said, I tend to view such growth as “the canary in the coal mine” indicator of the need to repot, although I suspect my regular use of probiotics suppresses such issues.
Ray

These little white balls are very interesting. In forty years of repotting, I didn't see them until about 4-5 years ago. It kind of looks like little white eggs or styrofoam balls. I see them most of the time as a mono layer with dozens of them stuck side-by-side. Sometimes they are on the side of the plastic pot near the inside bottom of the pot. When I first saw them, I thought they were insect eggs. I did misspeak earlier when I said I see them in bark, because I have seen them in both bark and Promix. It could be from either source and, as mentioned earlier, new medium could be re-colonized, especially since I don't do much to clean the roots. I see it most often with phalaenopsis, which I repot yearly. In any case, I can't associate it with any damage to the plants. Mike

The tiny ball shape makes me wonder if it isn’t a slime mold….

There is one - Fuligo septica - “dog vomit” that looks similar.

As far as I know the small white spots are molds that are grown in bark, it will undermine seriously the root system of orchids.
Whenever I discover the molds in bark, I will repot and reduce the frequency of watering especially in humid weather.

Back