Fumimasu Sugiyama unfortunately passed away

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ORG

Reaction score
The well-known Japanese Fumimasu Sugiyama breeder of many slipper hybrids has unfortunately passed May 23rd . His crosses will always remind us of this great man. Our sympathy goes out to his family.
I think Fumi enjoyed his orchid life and lived out his life span.
It is so sad we lost Norito and Fumi same month.

I think an era has come to an end.

Here Paphiopedilum Fumimasu Sugiyama (sanderianum X platyphyllum) and Paph. Harry Potter as a breeding example

Paphiopedilum Fumimasa Sugiyama sanderianum X platyphyllum.jpg Paphiopedilum Harry Potter 'Exceed'  - Oil Painting X bellatulum.jpg

Its a truly sad news as I was fortunate enough to live in Japan during the time of the very early parvisepalum hybrids beginning to flower many of which were made by Fumi Sugiyama. I loved visiting his nursery at weekends and he was very kind to name Paphiopedilum MICHAEL TIBBSafter me way back in 1995 (armeniacum x philippinense) when we discovered we shared the same birthday.

No!!!
Paphiopedilum sugiyamamum was named in honour for Mitsuro SUGIYAMA, who found this new species together with his friend Abas Hj. SAIDIN in Sabah on 15th of march 2001. In the same year it was described by William Cavestro in ‘Rhone-Alpes Orchidées, 27: 3; 2001.

No!!!
Paphiopedilum sugiyamamum was named in honour for Mitsuro SUGIYAMA, who found this new species together with his friend Abas Hj. SAIDIN in Sabah on 15th of march 2001. In the same year it was described by William Cavestro in ‘Rhone-Alpes Orchidées, 27: 3; 2001.
Thank you for correction!

Latest posts

Back