From organic to inorganic media, or?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mutant

Reaction score
I'm pondering about what to repot my Phrag. Sunset glow into whenever it thinks it's done with flowering. However, if every flower is going to last almost a month like the first one did, then maybe I should repot it anyway...

It's planted in a fine-graded fir bark, sphagnum, perlite mix, and I'm considering putting it in a pebbles, perlite, Synthic (synthetic sphagnum) mix. If I could, I would try some CHC in the mix too, but I don't have that available right now. I could order some CHC if you guys think that's a better idea.

What I'm worried about with the completely inorganic mix (and the one including CHC) is mostly the pH levels. The previous mix was rather acidic in nature, mostly due to the fir bark, and it seem my Phrags love that (I'm including my Jason Fischer in this, because there is some serious root growth going on in its pot since I got it home and repotted it in a fir bark, perlite mix).

Or maybe I should keep the fir bark, as they seem to love it, add the Synthic and perlite instead? I had hoped to not have to repot as often with a more inorganic mix, but if the Phrags are happier in the fir bark mix, then maybe I should just keep using it?

What do you guys think? Do the Phrags (Sunset Glow, Green Hornet, Jason Fischer) all prefer a more acid mix or would they like a less acid one even better?

I have a possible off topic question. How do you test potting medium for PH? Do you just check the runoff when watering? Stick testing device/paper right into the medium?

Just trying to learn. Thanks

I have a possible off topic question. How do you test potting medium for PH? Do you just check the runoff when watering? Stick testing device/paper right into the medium?

Some people have nifty pH measuring apparatus, while I measured the water the fir bark was soaking in for 24 hours, with litmus paper. Not particularly exact, but at least I know if it's acid, basic or neutral.

I might get something better in the future, however. We'll see. :)

If you use an inert, inorganic medium, the solutions applied and what the plants do to them determines the pH.

I have seen some pretty wild swings in the reservoir of S/H plants, but none ever seemed to suffer at all.

Unless you have accurate equipment and follow strict procedures, the best, fastest and quite accurate way is to use a pH test kit like this:
http://www.gardenexpress.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/pH_Test_Kit_Manutec-01.jpg

I use them all the time and they work perfectly.

If you use an inert, inorganic medium, the solutions applied and what the plants do to them determines the pH.

I have seen some pretty wild swings in the reservoir of S/H plants, but none ever seemed to suffer at all.
Thanks for your answer Ray.

That's interesting. I think I'll go ahead and try with the mix I was thinking about and see what the Phrag thinks about it. It's a strong plant so if the worst comes to worst, it'll hopefully recover in the ol' tried mix.

Should I use more, less, or the same amount of fertilizer when watering by the way?

I have two phrags in pots in s/h, in lava rock/clay combination, and both have live moss growing on top. So I wouldn't be too concerned about an inorganic mix, some organics will find their way in anyway.

Please do yourself and your plants a big favour and get a pH meter. They're about $15 on Amazon and even cheaper on Aliexpress. Compare that to the price of your latest orchid order. It won't be lab-grade, but at least 3 orders of magnitude better than litmus paper.

I have two phrags in pots in s/h, in lava rock/clay combination, and both have live moss growing on top. So I wouldn't be too concerned about an inorganic mix, some organics will find their way in anyway.

Please do yourself and your plants a big favour and get a pH meter. They're about $15 on Amazon and even cheaper on Aliexpress. Compare that to the price of your latest orchid order. It won't be lab-grade, but at least 3 orders of magnitude better than litmus paper.
Not here in Sweden they ain't. They cost around $35+ for the 'cheap' ones so it'll have to wait for a bit since my cats need some veterinarian attention right now.

I will get a pH meter and a TDS meter in the future, but not right now in other words.

Not here in Sweden they ain't. They cost around $35+ for the 'cheap' ones so it'll have to wait for a bit since my cats need some veterinarian attention right now.

I will get a pH meter and a TDS meter in the future, but not right now in other words.

I'm talking about online prices. Here in stores they're in the same $ range. But Aliexpress.com vendors ship worldwide, and I just saw the same meter that I bought on amazon for $15, available for $7 with free shipping.

I hope your cats are ok.

I'm talking about online prices. Here in stores they're in the same $ range. But Aliexpress.com vendors ship worldwide, and I just saw the same meter that I bought on amazon for $15, available for $7 with free shipping.

I hope your cats are ok.
I'm checking their website right now, thanks for the tip (sorry it took me a while to actually realize I could go to their website :rollhappy: ). :D

One confirmed case of asthma and one suspected. It took me a while to figure out what was the problem with the confirmed case. Unfortunately the vet didn't have a clue until I told them I wanted him checked for asthma...

Latest posts

Back