Froggie

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

bcostello

Here's a little froggie in my greenhouse. Don't know if he/she is native to the area or hitched a ride in a plant.

IMG_4596.jpg

It's a green tree frog (Hyla cinerea), native to SE US, they're real nice and have a cool call.

Forrest

Beat me to it, Forrest. I love these little creatures. I wouldn't mind them in my greenhouse, either (when I get it...).

Love those froggi, I found one in my orchids while they were outside. , don't know how it got there, its not native to this area of Michigan. It liked to hang out on the door screen

Love those froggi, I found one in my orchids while they were outside. , don't know how it got there, its not native to this area of Michigan. It liked to hang out on the door screen

I can't believe that! They are abundant around here, and we are not that far from you.:confused:

I can't believe that! They are abundant around here, and we are not that far from you.:confused:

What?! We've been looking all over the place down here for green tree frogs to no avail. My son and I have relocated every American brown toad within a two mile radius to our back yard and little oak toads love to live in pots of semi-hydro plants, but we've seen zero tree frogs. Maybe they're just perfectly adapted to avoiding little boys? The brown toads have a lonnnng way to go in that department.

Green treefrogs in Michigan!?! That would be quite a range extension. More likely the grey treefrog (Hyla chrysoscelis), they can be quite green and easily confused. The biggest differences are that greens have a prominent white stripe on the lip, smoother skin and cannot freeze solid like the greys (an amazing adaptation to living in the north). I love our US treefrogs!!!

Forrest

Green treefrogs in Michigan!?! That would be quite a range extension. More likely the grey treefrog (Hyla chrysoscelis), they can be quite green and easily confused. The biggest differences are that greens have a prominent white stripe on the lip, smoother skin and cannot freeze solid like the greys (an amazing adaptation to living in the north). I love our US treefrogs!!!

Forrest
Oops -- you are right, Forrest. They are Gray Tree Frogs here. In my mind I think of them as green because they are green when they are young, and only turn gray as they become adults. Most of my encounters with them have been when they are still green.

Latest posts

Back