Friends in Japan

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm OK

Thanks everyone, I'm fine. There wasn't even a rumble here to be felt, yet a few scattered magnitude 1 quakes were reported in Kyushu during the main swarm of quakes. The area effected is huge, from Tokyo to Hokkaido, a distance equal to half the eastern seaboard of the US. The worst hit area was Miyagi Prefecture where all that tsunami film footage is coming from.

I don't know anyone personally who was hurt by this, though my girlfriend has family in Tokyo and other friends do too. I can't image that less than a thousand are dead. A truly dark day in Japan.

Here's the map of the main swarm of quakes that hit yesterday afternoon:

Majorquake.jpg

To give you an idea of the severely hit areas, check out this morning's temperature map on the Japanese Meteorological Agency's site. All that blank area in the north shows where communications are down. That tells you something:

Afterquaketemp.jpg

The tsunami will take the most lives in the end I fear, and landslides will take many more. Japan is set up for this kind of disaster like no other country, but with a series of quakes this big it is impossible not to have loss. I cried for those people in Sendai.

Happy to hear that you are ok!! This was a very unfortunate incident for Japan indeed...!

Good to hear you're OK Tom! The Asia Pacific region seems to be constantly having natural disasters the last six months. Floods and fires in Australia, earthquake in NZ and now in Japan...

Thanks for checking in, Tom. I thought you were south of the affected area; but, I wasn't sure. It's going to take a long time to get over this one. I am so sad for all the people involved.

Latest posts

Back