four queens of the forest

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
queen three

after leaving the nature preserve with the whorled pogonia and pink ladyslippers I headed to a nature park/visitor's center where there is a nice clump of showy orchis or galearis spectabilis. this clump had been seen a while back and when people had returned to see if the plant would flower, they were shocked to see that deer had chewed the plant down! naturally, thoughts turned to venison kebabs, but since no hunting was allowed in this area (alas) calmer minds prevailed and came up with a wire cage to protect the orchids from deer predation. deer in upstate ny are very effective at mowing down anything edible in their path, and leaving lots of deer ticks behind. if you want something untouched, you either have to place dogs around it, fence it or spray nasty/stinky chemicals on it repeatedly to disgust them away. this often only works for the short term, until they discover that the stinky thing is tasty, then they cover their noses and...

so, the budding botanists barricaded the bright blooms and the byproducts were beautiful!

limehollow511a.JPG

attractive path into the lime hollow nature preserve (just miles away from my first home!)

limehollow511b.JPG

showy orchis clump with chicken wire cage staked down around the plants

limehollow511c.JPG

limehollow511d.JPG

limehollow511e.JPG

limehollow511f.JPG

these flowers really are beautiful, but they are hard to get a nice picture of because the flowers are nodding, or face downwards slightly. I was surprised when I edited these pics at how 'dirty' they were from bugs and pest chewing. that said, this is the most sturdy clump of showy orchis I've seen in new york state! i've seen quite a few others in new york and vermont, but all much smaller plants

limehollow511g.JPG

clump view from above

limehollow511h.JPG

a red eft that was very concerned about being caught out in the open, and did not want to pose for a picture!

limehollow511i.JPG

on the way back to my car, a very nice colony of colt's foot gone to seed. I wanted to take a few more pictures, but the road shoulder was literally only inches wide, and cars weren't overly concerned about pedestrian safety

again, the flowers were in heavy shade, and since they were guarded by quite a few nasty mosquitos, I was on the move quite a bit (picture quality isn't the best)

Last edited:
queen four

the last orchid on this outing was the yellow ladyslipper at eames fen. usually there are some nice numbers of yellows there outside the small boardwalk area, but this year there weren't that many. I think the trees are shading out the orchids. the mosquitos were quite happy there, so I had to use flash and keep moving to be able to get some pics and stay alive :(

eamesfen511a.JPG

yellow ladyslippers. I needed to use flash because of the heavy shade and a slight breeze

eamesfen511b.JPG

eamesfen511c.JPG

a few late white trillium

eamesfen511d.JPG

eamesfen511e.JPG

eamesfen511f.JPG

eamesfen511g.JPG

eamesfen511h.JPG

thanks for going along on my birthday tour! hope you enjoyed it :)

Very nice pictures and awsome flowers (especially the first orchid)... It was so nice to share them with us :D

very nice pictures
thanks for share.

Galearis is one of my favorite non slippers

Thanx for sharing. BTW I couldn't believe it! I saw Spedie/(or was it Riggie?) sauce in the supermarket a few days ago!! :eek:

I'll bet it was 'State Fair Spiedie Sauce', which is in most all stores I've been to in upstate ny. At the state fair in syracuse, there is the 'spiedie tent' and it is extremely popular, so lots of people outside of the area who have gone to the fair know about spiedies and sauce. You can marinate pork, chicken, beef and venison in it and they are all excellent. ... and i've had rave reviews for my venison spiedies marinated in this sauce! mmmmmmmm :drool:

Thanks for the continuing tour Charles. The showy orchis was one of my Holy Grail plants to find as a kid in southern NY, but I had to wait to see them in Maine and the southern mountains.

Did you come across any C. arietinum this year?

it was difficult finding showy orchis here in upstate, though it is supposed to be 'around' pretty much anywhere. problem is, deer like it. :( about the ram's head, I hadn't been able to go where it was, but a friend went yesterday and I was waiting on a report (to see if it was still in flower). the hot days may have finished them off quickly. i've only been to one spot where i've seen it in nys; nicer ones seen in vermont

about the ram's head, I hadn't been able to go where it was, but a friend went yesterday and I was waiting on a report (to see if it was still in flower). the hot days may have finished them off quickly. i've only been to one spot where i've seen it in nys; nicer ones seen in vermont

Charles, too bad about not seeing the ram's head. I've only since it in flower once and what a thrill to see just how tiny it is! Truly a dainty species in all respects. Some year you have to get up to the UP of Michigan or better yet Isle Royale where there are stands of thousands!

I looked for G. spectabilis in vain for years in southern NY, NJ, and CT and finally gave up. It wasn't until I got down south that I saw large colonies of them. I hope they are as plentiful nowadays down there.

ram's head was past, ken said. we both got to see some plants of the lesser whorled pogonia a few days ago (no flowers), and yesterday I went to mid north ny and saw that the small population of putty root that we had been told about had flowered already, and the tops of the flower spikes had rotted or dried back. a few flowers on each stem that had seed pods so hopefully a few more plants will show up

we both went to nelson swamp today but didn't see either striped or western spotted coralroot; found some platanthera obtusata with one bud open each on bottom stems and some platanthera aquilonis with low buds and spent yellow ladyslippers. ken found some nice southern twayblades this morning

Latest posts

Back