flower lifespan and info on growth

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

annab

Reaction score
Hi there, does someone can help my to know the flower lifespan of this cross ?
and if these guy are easy to grow and to get flowering.
these hybrid are for me very kind and in spring I hope to buy some of them ,if I will be able to find some space in my house,I think that most certainly I will be able :rollhappy::rollhappy::rollhappy:.

"PARVISEPALUM X COCHLOPETALUM

delenatii X chamberlainianum
delenatii X moquetteanum
delenatii X glaucophyllum
delenatii X primulinum
vietnamense X moquetteanum
delenatii X fairrieanum
delenatii X mastersianum

BRACHIPETALUM X POLYANTHA

niveum X richardianum

BRACHYPETALUM X COCHLOPETALUM

bellatulum X glaucophyllum
concolor X glaucophyllum
niveum X fairrieanum
bellatulum X fairrieanum
concolor X fairrieanum

COCHLOPETALUM X PAPHIOPEDILUM

chamberlainianum X insigne

thanks in advance ,anna

Last edited:
I'm no expert but they all seem like they would be fairly easy crosses to grow. And for flower lifespan, the paphs I have keep individual flowers for 2 1/2 to 6 weeks.

thank orchid boy ,I read somewhere that these cross are easy to grow, but I have fear the all cross with delenatii are short flower lifespan too.
anyway its very hard to find these hybrid for me ,especially one that make me crazy vietnamense X moquetteanum I like a lot but all cross above I like too.
anna

Annab, fairrieanum and mastersianum are not in cochlopetalum

fairrieanum is in paphiopedilum, and mastersianum is a barbata group(sigmatopetalum??)

mastersianum is a slow grower for many, but maybe the hybrid will be easy.

In general, cochlo's and some parvi's have shorter lived blooms. Cochlo's last 2-4 weeks, but usually have one opening as the old one fades. For parvi's, delanatii lasts about 4 weeks....emersonii only about 2 weeks...vietnamense notoriously brief, although it's only hearsay for me, never having bloomed one. That said, I did once bloom a vietnamense x bellatulum.....it was a hideous bloom that lasted exactly 1 day after opening fully. Hybrids of barbata and the complex types last the longest, 2 months, sometimes even 3. Species rarely bloom longer than 6-7 weeks, but mastersianum and urbanianum can last 10 weeks or more.

thanks Rick,you're right , I made a mistake .
delenatii X fairrieanum is parvisepalum X paphiopedilum and this hybrid should be "paph black diamond" I like it a lot,beautiful shades of pink
mastersianum also has a wrong classification on my thread , its a sigmatopetalum,
and delenatii X mastersianum is for me much more than beautiful.
I can not do anything,I love the shades pink.
anna:rollhappy::rollhappy::rollhappy:

In general, cochlo's and some parvi's have shorter lived blooms.
:(:(:(:(no good news for me.
Cochlo's last 2-4 weeks, but usually have one opening as the old one fades.
what sin.
For parvi's, delanatii lasts about 4 weeks.
begin good news.
vietnamense notoriously brief,
I heard that in this forum someone said that in his experience him last also 4 week and more.
That said, I did once bloom a vietnamense x bellatulum.....it was a hideous bloom that lasted exactly 1 day after opening fully.
:sob::sob::sob:I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
Hybrids of barbata and the complex types last the longest, 2 months, sometimes even 3. Species rarely bloom longer than 6-7 weeks, but mastersianum and urbanianum can last 10 weeks or more.
this is a good news:):):):) but now I'going to see if I like this,
thanks Eric for your long explanation,what you said is very useful for me.
anna

Latest posts

Back