first year trying

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cyps will probably not thrive in a house long term. It is way too warm. You could flower them there but the blooms will probably be short lived and that is probably why some have blasted.
I would put the plants outside as soon as the remaining flowers are over,
Regards
David

You can grow cyps in a pot outside. That what David and I do.

Cyps will probably not thrive in a house long term. It is way too warm. You could flower them there but the blooms will probably be short lived and that is probably why some have blasted.
I would put the plants outside as soon as the remaining flowers are over,
Regards
David

Thanks David. One pot was newly planted in March this year. The other pot was planted last fall and left in the unheated garage. I brought it inside the house after it started to grow in March. My house has been keeping between 65ºF-70ºF (18ºC-21ºC). This temperature should not be too warm??
Marcus

I would think 18-21 would be pretty warm for cyps. What are the night temps?
David

Day temp is around 70ºF (21ºC) in my house, and night is around 65ºF (18ºC). It actually would be much cooler than outside in the summer. In DC, Maryland, summer could go up to 90ºF outside. What is your temp usually?

According to the planting guide on Frosch's website. http://www.cypripedium.de/English/planting/planting.html
It says, "Frosch® Cypripedium hybrids can be grown in all areas where temperatures do not regularly exceed 30°C (86°F) in summer." I just assumed 18ºC-21ºC should be ok.

Marcus

Day temp is around 70ºF (21ºC) in my house, and night is around 65ºF (18ºC). It actually would be much cooler than outside in the summer. In DC, Maryland, summer could go up to 90ºF outside. What is your temp usually?

According to the planting guide on Frosch's website. http://www.cypripedium.de/English/planting/planting.html
It says, "Frosch® Cypripedium hybrids can be grown in all areas where temperatures do not regularly exceed 30°C (86°F) in summer." I just assumed 18ºC-21ºC should be ok.

Marcus

I think you want temperature variability. Also, being cooler will help the flowers last longer (between 45-65 F).

I keep my cyps in pots outdoors when hard frost is over (buried in leaves in winter). No problems, though depends on what type of Cyps. I've had problems with reginae. But Pubescens, Kentuckiensis and lots of hybrids, I don't have problems with the heat (though I do water in the morning for the very hot days to help cool the roots). In the summer, place the plants where they get noon/afternoon shade.

cyp temps

Marcus,

at present we have 5 -10 degrees at night and 10-20 days.
During the summer the highs will be mainly 20-25 degrees with odd spikes up towards 28-30 but only once or twice a year.
Nights are a lot cooler.
Your 18 degrees is warm for cyps at night.
Cyps are cool growing outdoor plants at home with other temperate flora.
Tom ( botany boy) has some tips on his web site for growing cyps in a warm climate which may be worth looking into.

Regards,

David

Cypripedium Lucy Pinkepank from Gardens at Post Hill. Planted in pot last fall. Two growths, one flower blasted.

Attachments

• IMG_1356.jpg
    IMG_1356.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1359.jpg
    IMG_1359.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 11
Cypripedium Anna from Raising Rarities. Planted this spring. Two growths, one flower.

Attachments

• IMG_1385.jpg
    IMG_1385.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1387.jpg
    IMG_1387.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 11
Cypripedium Renate Pastel from Gardens at Post Hill. Planted this spring. One growth, one flower.

Attachments

• IMG_1391.jpg
    IMG_1391.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1395.jpg
    IMG_1395.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 16
Beautiful! I also have the Anna from raising rarities. Got mine late though, just planted at the end of April. It's only a few inches tall now. Our summers can be quite hot, I'm not sure how it will fare. Just hoping for a bloom.

Beautiful! I also have the Anna from raising rarities. Got mine late though, just planted at the end of April. It's only a few inches tall now. Our summers can be quite hot, I'm not sure how it will fare. Just hoping for a bloom.

Thanks. Our day temperature goes up to lower 80 d F this week. I found they didn't tolerate the sun when the temperature rose. I had to use the shade cloth.

Cypripedium Gisela from Gardens at Post Hill. Planted this spring. One stem, one flower.

Attachments

• IMG_1415.jpg
    IMG_1415.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1422.jpg
    IMG_1422.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 8
Back