first year trying

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PotomacV

Reaction score
Cypripedium parviflorum var pubescens from Garden at Post Hill. Planted last fall. 3 growths 5 flowers.

Attachments

• IMG_1314.jpg
    IMG_1314.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1322.jpg
    IMG_1322.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 34
Cypripedium 'MPK' (C. macranthos x PK = 'C. pubescens x C. kentuckiense') from Hillside Nursery. Planted last fall. Two growths one flower.

Attachments

• IMG_1298.jpg
    IMG_1298.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0476.jpg
    IMG_0476.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 31
Thanks. This is an outdoor brick raised flower bed. I used about 75% perlite, 15% poultry grit (insoluble crushed granite), 5% granite chip, 5% peat moss and bark and mulched on the top.
I also planted three in pot indoors, but I did not use any peat moss or bark.

Are these on the south side of your house? How are they so early? Do you come to the PF/NCOS?

It is facing south east with two walls (north and west side) and under the roof. The picture is what it looked like last year.
These two were the earliest ones to grow up. I saw the green tips a couple of days after I removed most mulch on the top around March 18.
I don't go to the PF/NCOS. My English is not good, and I don't know anyone there.

Attachments

• IMG_0828.jpg
    IMG_0828.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 30
I need advices. These two that I grow in pot both have bud blast problem. Each has one flower bud that stopped developing, but the other looks fine.

They are growing in 100% inorganic mix (80% perlite, 15% poultry grit, 5% granite chip) with a layer of hydroton ball and some granular fertilizer on the top.

I water it once a week with 1/4 -1/2 strength fertilizer.
Too much water, too dry or too much fertilizer? Or because it is newly planted?

Attachments

• IMG_1334.jpg
    IMG_1334.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1341.jpg
    IMG_1341.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 19
I need advices. These two that I grow in pot both have bud blast problem. Each has one flower bud that stopped developing, but the other looks fine.

They are growing in 100% inorganic mix (80% perlite, 15% poultry grit, 5% granite chip) with a layer of hydroton ball and some granular fertilizer on the top.

I water it once a week with 1/4 -1/2 strength fertilizer.
Too much water, too dry or too much fertilizer? Or because it is newly planted?

Do you grow this in the house or outside? If inside the house, too warm?
My guess is too dry.

The 2014 PF had Ron Burch of Gardens of Post Hill; he did a presentation on cyps.
About once every 3 years there is a presentation on cyps at the NCOS meeting. The fall show is nice also.
The USNA, where the meetings are held, has a nice clump of cyp formosanum.

Cyps in house

Cyps will probably not thrive in a house long term. It is way too warm. You could flower them there but the blooms will probably be short lived and that is probably why some have blasted.
I would put the plants outside as soon as the remaining flowers are over,
Regards
David

Latest posts

Back