First Complex for the season

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

Roy

Reaction score
Well, I had to get one complex Paph open eventually. This is a first flowering seedling. P. Fine Arts x Sparsholt.
I think it has some potential.

FineArtsxSparsholt.jpg

I like the complex.

E

Eric Muehlbauer

Good one! While the dorsal isn't the biggest, the colors are good, and the staminode isn't twisted....Enjoy! Eric

Roy

Reaction score
Eric, you mention the staminode not twisted, Why? Thats one thing that I never or rarely incur with my paphs. Sometimes I think its a problem with the parents used. I notice it more when looking at some of the Japanese and German bred paphs ( with awards ) and some Taiwanese plants.

E

Eric Muehlbauer

One of the frequent problems I have seen with complex paph hybrids is a twisted staminode...I have only seen it on complex paphs, no others. Perhaps it is a peculiarity with American strains. Take care, Eric

Roy

Reaction score
Eric, the Paphs you have seen, would they have been flowered under natural light conditions or under lights ??? From limited experience here, I have found that forcing complex paphs to grow or flower by unnatural methods can cause many abnormalities. It doesn't seem to occur which other paph families or as much.