First Bloom: Paph micranthum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn! I'm going to copy and print your culture tip. then hang it by the plants!:evil:

Thanks for the compliment, Rick:), but I don't think it's my culture that is special in this instance. It's more likely the species adapting to "indoor" or "greenhouse" culture as it is selectively bred through the generations. Each successive generation becomes easier to grow "in captivity".

No, that english is ok and I'm not observing any innuendo, it's just the thought of only watering once a week for me is hilarious!!! Heck, sometimes the thought of watering once a day is difficult for me. :(

Ross, that is one beautiful micranthum you have. Good job. I wish more of mine would bloom like that.

Here is a chuckle. I just bloomed a micranthum too, and it is an oddity by comparison. A dwarf of sorts. Flower is about half size of normal, with small sepals and petals, leaving an open profile. Pouch is normal, white like eburnum, but foliage is normal type foliage rather than eburnum type. A rather tall flower stem - about 1 foot. Originally from Ray Rands, this is the second time it has bloomed for me.

micranthum1179-2009a.jpg

micranthum1179-2009b.jpg

Leo

Very unusual, Leo. Is the leaf span average for micranthum?

The leaves are visible in the photo - and they are about normal - on the small side, but not dramatically smaller. The plant in the photo is in a 2.5 inch x 4 inch tall pot, standard seedling or rose pot. The first time it bloomed the flower was deformed and I thought maybe that variant - globulosa or something, but this blooming is more normal looking, I am not sure what to think. Mini-micranthum? It seems vigorous, blooming twice in 5 years from a single growth division.

It came from Ray Rands in one of those deals where I sent him $500 and he put as many divisions of his micranthums as he had in a box. All mixed up, no clone names, no information, just a box 'o' micranthum. Bare Root. Then a friend and I split the shipment. I kept about 1/3. That was 5 years ago. Some have bloomed nice. This - "not so much", but it is interesting. I wish the others would grow as well as this.

Latest posts

Back