Exspensive roth is not growing

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have an exspensive rothschildianum that was in flower: trust me it is definitely no tarantula ;) but is pricey for me. It dropped its flowers a while back, however what is concerning is that it hasn't started a new growth. Should I be worried?

Windowsill? Underlights? If so, what kind? How far below tubes? What kind of tubes? Wattage? Spectrum?
Pot type
Media
Watering schedule
Fertilizer schedule. How often with what?
Temperature range.
You have asked a simple question that does not have a simple answer.

How long ago did it lose the flowers? Not all respond with a new growth at that moment. Some do, some do not.
I have acquired about 2 dozen assorted Paphs in this group and they do not all act the same. If you grow in lower light intensities then preferred, they are likely to grow less vigorously.
The impact of all of the parameters that I mentioned above can effect the growth rate of an orchid. It comes from observation and experience. There are no short cuts in my opinion.
It is not a simple matter.

Windowsill? Underlights? If so, what kind? How far below tubes? What kind of tubes? Wattage? Spectrum?
Pot type
Media
Watering schedule
Fertilizer schedule. How often with what?
Temperature range.
You have asked a simple question that does not have a simple answer.

How long ago did it lose the flowers? Not all respond with a new growth at that moment. Some do, some do not.
I have acquired about 2 dozen assorted Paphs in this group and they do not all act the same. If you grow in lower light intensities then preferred, they are likely to grow less vigorously.
The impact of all of the parameters that I mentioned above can effect the growth rate of an orchid. It comes from observation and experience. There are no short cuts in my opinion.
It is not a simple matter.
Led spider farmer 4000. Same setup as all other rothschildianum that are doing great. Around April when it lost it. Sorry it was a bit vague. Thanks

I had two roths that flowered last spring. The first I let the flowers on and enjoyed them until they faded away naturally. The second I cut the flower stem shortly after the last flower opened. The second now has two new growths while the first has one new growth but clearly lagging behind. Of course other things might be at play but I would recommend patience. Flowering takes a lot of energy and yours likely just needs a little more time to recover.

Latest posts

Back