Erasanthe henrici

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's the fragrance like?

I like this species and have wanted to try growing one, but at the prices they command from reputable vendors, I'm not willing to risk it. Some people I've heard from are of the opinion that they're relatively easy to grow, others suggest they can be finicky or even a bit difficult. I love Angraecoids, but these days my space and patience for finicky stuff is quite limited.

Any tips on care or growing?

Mine established pretty quickly from being imported. I was pleasantly pleased to see new roots in a couple/few months. The reports of this being a finicky species have not been true for this clone... yet. It is growing in/on a slotted clay pot with bark, grow stone, and charcoal. Most of the roots are outside of the pot. They grow in and out of the slots on the sides. It responds well to frequent watering and quickly drying out. It would appreciate an cycle of every 2-3 days for watering, especially in the summer, but it gets watered twice a week with me. It responds well to intermediate temperatures and needs between phalaenopsis and mini cattleya lighting (morning light and bright shade the rest of the day).

Just by nature of my growing set up, it does get a slightly drier winter rest with less frequent watering and lower humidity. The humidity in my growing room is not "low" over the winter. It's between 50-60%. Still lower than outside summer humidity.

In a Feb 2016 AOS article, the folks at Botanica Ltd mention this species has a reputation for spontaneously dying. Maybe it is a short lived species or maybe can quickly become resentful of less than ideal conditions. I am only 2.5 years into caring for this one. So, I cannot claim success yet.

Oh the fragrance is light and sweet but not floral sweet like some of the other angraecoids. I will go back later in the night to check, in case it intensifies later in the evening /night.

this species has a reputation for spontaneously dying

Yeah, that sounds about right. LOL

I've encountered that and read/heard about that with lots of Angraecoids. When it's time for them to die, they don't really waste any time with it, in my experience. Every time I see a leaf turning yellow in this group, it gives me a bit of anxiety.

Well, from what you've stated about your growing routine, this one doesn't sound particularly troubling.

Thanks for the heads up about the scent. It sounds lovely. I'm guessing it's a fragrance I'll never get to smell.

Congrats! Not an easy species especially from an imported specimen!

I like this species and have wanted to try growing one, but at the prices they command from reputable vendors, I'm not willing to risk it. Some people I've heard from are of the opinion that they're relatively easy to grow, others suggest they can be finicky or even a bit difficult. I love Angraecoids, but these days my space and patience for finicky stuff is quite limited.

Any tips on care or growing?

I have a seedling from Botanica for over a year now, growing intermediate-warm under cattleya light and watered like one (2-1x a week depending on season). I have it in power grade orchiata in a 3 inch pot under around 35% humidity for context. I've heard the angraecoids photosynthesize from their roots which is why these guys grow them out of the pot. Mine does that but the previously buried roots stick to the pot sides since I strategically used clear plastic. Main note is salt sensitivity, too much and you will get black necrotic edges on the leaves. Brandon Tam from the Huntington says that he has no issues with his specimens as mounted plants in the warm greenhouse. Botanica reported that the seedlings are much more vigorous than the imported plants so that might be something to look out for.

WOW Darlene, these flower look great and quite extravagant...honestly so far I've never heard of this species.
What are the measurements of the flowers ?
And what about the leaves ... they look a bit shriveled. Do they need a strong dry rest ?

Last edited:
WOW Darlene, these flower look great and quite extravagant...honestly so far I've never heard of this species.
What are the measurements of the flowers ?
And what about the leaves ... they look a bit shriveled. Do they need a strong dry rest ?
Thank you! The flowers are not the easiest to measure accurately but an estimate is about 8.5cm wide and 11cm long.

You are correct that the leaves have a bit of shriveled appearance. This is in part due to their nature and in part to my culture at this time of year. The leaves look shriveled but they do not feel dehydrated. They are rigid to the touch. This clone's leaves have never been smooth, even in the middle of the growing season. They are less leathery then but not smooth.

I do not give this species a strong dry rest during the winter. However it is watered a lot less. It is down to twice a week watering for the winter. The infrequent watering is also contributing to the leather looking leaves. Now that it is flowering, I am paying it a lot more attention, but trying not to change too much from years past. I don't want to accidentally kill it with kindness.

Based on what you are saying, it sounds like this species would do well with the regimen I use for my Vandas: tied to a bamboo stick, open glass receptacle, roots sprayed down every morning with pure reverse osmosis water, every 5th day followed with a spray-down of K-Lite/RO. Maybe Angraecoids need less fertilizer?

Based on what you are saying, it sounds like this species would do well with the regimen I use for my Vandas: tied to a bamboo stick, open glass receptacle, roots sprayed down every morning with pure reverse osmosis water, every 5th day followed with a spray-down of K-Lite/RO. Maybe Angraecoids need less fertilizer?
It probably would do well with that set-up. I agree that less fertilizer would be needed though. Please post if you give it a try.

Latest posts

Back