Ecuador pictures

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We've been to this area around Chiguinda several times, and if a pure colony of d'alessandroi exists there it is very well hidden. Most of what we saw were either straight Ecuadorean besseae or the natural hybrid Phrag. Jersey (besseae x d'alessandroi). I suppose it is possble that more isolated pockets of d'alessandori still exist far from the road, but they are not readily accessible. We also visited the Ecuagenera greenhouses when we were in Ecuador and saw many Phrag. d'alessandroi in bloom in a separate bed in Gualaceo. There were a few plants labelled Phrag. d'alessandroi `Classic Form' that I would consider to be true d'alessandroi - the majority looked more to me like the natural hybrid Jersey.

Thanks,

Hmmm? Interesting, Tom. I've always wanted to order a d'alessandroi from Ecuagenera; but, I wonder if they ship the ones that might be the hybrid, or if they ship the "classic form". I definitely would NOT want the hybrid. I want the pure "classic" species.

There seems to be quite a variation in plant habit in Lar's photographs. Some have a very ascencing habit and some don't. Some have very tight flowering bracts and some have lots of stem inbetween. It seems to me that this group of plants is made up mostly of natural hybrids; each one with varying degrees of each species in it's background.

Hi John,

When I was there, most of that habitat appeared to be made up of the natural hybrid, although there may still be pockets of the true species once you travel a few hundred yards in from the road (not an easy task). I would love to have the time to thoroughly explore that area, but it's a rough climb once you get away from the road. Most of that habitat is made up of black granite rock with abundant seepage, so plenty of opportunity to fall if you lose your footing. FYI - Sam Tsui has seedlings of the true species and can deliver in Canada. Not sure what he charges.

Here are a few more flowershapes... not the best pictures (I will bring a SLR camera next time)

ecuadorlars873.jpg

ecuadorlars874.jpg

ecuadorlars882.jpg

These plants looks alot like dalessandroi plants wide leaves, growth close together... but I dont know ?

ecuadorlars856.jpg

What do you think guys ?

:)
Lars

Latest posts

Back