Dryadella simula

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TDT

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A cool grower that's been flowering for more than a year on my north facing kitchen windowsill!

Dryadella%20simula%202%20flowers_zpsrdcxtdih.jpg

The house is around 20C (68F). The kitchen window has a pane 24" above the sill that opens and I keep this open through the spring and fall seasons, so the temp drops a couple degrees overnight for the plants on the sill. Also through the winter months it gets colder overnight on the sill as night temps drop. I do put this plant outside during the summer months, on a trellis mounted to the north wall of the house. This gives it a great swing in diurnal temps, and probably the desired dry summer season since the humidity levels here on the prairies are typically low and it dries out. I water once or even twice a day depending on temps, which can get into the 30s.

Lovely and well grown! but I doubt it is D. simula....the growths look way off.
PS, Many species in this genus have very similar flowers.

dryadella_zps3zzduvuf.jpg

Here's another photo showing its growth habit.
I've been through the IOSPE section of Dryadella and I can't really see one that fits my plant. None others that show the short pusticulate leaf. I'll continue to refer to it as D. simula until....

Is there another reference source for Dryadella that someone could point me to?

Thanks.

dryadella_zps3zzduvuf.jpg

Here's another photo showing its growth habit.
I've been through the IOSPE section of Dryadella and I can't really see one that fits my plant. None others that show the short pusticulate leaf. I'll continue to refer to it as D. simula until....

Is there another reference source for Dryadella that someone could point me to?

Thanks.

There are some species in this genus yet needed to be identified/identified correctly. Meanwhile, I would just label it as Dryadella sp.

In some cases, a simple photo might do the job. In this case, a closeup for lip, profile shot of the flower, good measurements of the flower and growth are needed if you want someone to id for you.

Latest posts

Back