Dracuvallia Dracula's Bane

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrueNorth

Reaction score
This is a cross between Masd triangularis and Dracula vampira. It got a lot of the Dracula's size and a bit of it's pattern.

Dracuvallia_Dracula_s_Bane.jpg

Dracuvallia_Plant.jpg

That's fantastic. I love the bright colors. I assume you have to keep this one cool?

The triangularis is a warmer grower, so it could be grown warm in theory. I did grow them warm for a few years, with no problems, but it was easier to put them in the aquarium in the basement. The flowers wilt if you grow them cool and then take them out to a warmer less humid environment, but they plump up again when you put them back. I've never flowered them under warm conditions.

They're not fragrant.

It's nothing elaborate - 40 gal. aquarium with plastic grid in the bottom so the plants aren't sitting water, covered with plastic sheet turned back at the front corners to allow a bit of air circulation. There's no fan, but they don't seem to mind the lack of air circulation. They love the humidity.

The basement is cool. It ranges between 12 to 17 C. in the winter depending on how cold it is outside. In the summer I try to keep it below 24 C. I have a portable air conditioner that vents to the outside through a window which helps a lot.

When I water I let the water level just reach the bottom of the pots, leave the top open until any water sitting on the the foliage is gone, pull the plastic back over the top, and they're good for a couple of weeks.

It's nothing elaborate - 40 gal. aquarium with plastic grid in the bottom so the plants aren't sitting water, covered with plastic sheet turned back at the front corners to allow a bit of air circulation. There's no fan, but they don't seem to mind the lack of air circulation. They love the humidity.

The basement is cool. It ranges between 12 to 17 C. in the winter depending on how cold it is outside. In the summer I try to keep it below 24 C. I have a portable air conditioner that vents to the outside through a window which helps a lot.

When I water I let the water level just reach the bottom of the pots, leave the top open until any water sitting on the the foliage is gone, pull the plastic back over the top, and they're good for a couple of weeks.

Thanks. Wow no air circulation? Water about once a month? Sounds like low maintenance.

I pot them in sphagnum mixed with perlite, charcoal and tree fern to keep the moss open and airy. I'm not sure it work as well at warmer temperatures.

Latest posts

Back